Catersplitter Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What??? The show is over? Damn. What do you have planned for the sequel? I would put this thread up as one of the top five ever on the board. Fantastic work Kevin. (but I'm thinking you already knew that)

Nice build. You have a lot of time in this. It takes lots of time to fabricate and put everything together. Not to mention all the trips to town for parts and making everything fit together. Great work, I wish I had more time to build something like that. I'm in the process of building my own splitter as well as other guys on here. I'm thinking of stealing your idea of using box tubing for the slide for the wedge. Looks like it'll hold up for a long time. Have fun with your new toy! :)

What??? The show is over? Damn. What do you have planned for the sequel? I would put this thread up as one of the top five ever on the board. Fantastic work Kevin. (but I'm thinking you already knew that)

I'll get some action shots in the future but it'll be a while. Always have irons in the fire it seems. Thanks for the kind words. Kevin

WOW Is all I can say. love it, way beyond my meager means, you are very talented. Was just wondering if there were any plans to make some sort of protection for the extra wedge? Or is it not a concern? Your protection and/or it's protection. Thanks for sharing, I was rivited:rock:

Great job, great thread, I'm envious of you skills an your tools..
Speaking of which,
how bout some shots of the parts of that bender so's aguy might make one :blob2::blob2:

WOW Is all I can say. love it, way beyond my meager means, you are very talented. Was just wondering if there were any plans to make some sort of protection for the extra wedge? Or is it not a concern? Your protection and/or it's protection. Thanks for sharing, I was rivited:rock:

I'm not loaning this out so really there is no need. Too many things for someone to screw up or hurt themselves, like most equipment anymore. I've always taken responsibility for my own actions which seems to be a lost idea nowadays.

Very enjoyable read. Thanks for taking the time to go through the entire build with so much detail and pics. Can't wait for the next contraption and corresponding thread.

----

The one you referred to as a compact bender, that roller bender is slick also but looks like it would be much more difficult to fab...

I got it through Shop Outfitters years ago. I do not see it on their website now as they have upgraded it but here is a link:

Metal Bending Fabrication Equipment | Shop Outfitters

It will bend up to 2 inch wide flat steel.

Harbor Freight sells a knock off of it now. I do not think I'd try to make one but here you can see some close ups of one.

harbor freight bender - YouTube

This was a good and entertaining read. Thanks.

The nice part for you is you get what you want, no exceptions. Congrats. That thing looks like it will last your lifetime and then some.

The only things I question are the motor and the splitting point. I know you discussed the reasons for putting the wedge on the cylinder. I think you could satisfy those reasons and still have the wedge(s) fixed mounted to the butt of the splitter, so you push your wood away. Your winch and tables would still keep the wood from hitting the ground. Its just a personal preference, I know, and your's trumps. :smile2: The other thing is the motor. If I was doing this build I would have found a conventional commercial motor rather than using the mower motor. Your cost would have gone up though, even on a used motor.

Like I said, great thread, great splitter, great job! You :rockn:

I got it through Shop Outfitters years ago. I do not see it on their website now as they have upgraded it but here is a link:

Metal Bending Fabrication Equipment | Shop Outfitters

It will bend up to 2 inch wide flat steel.

Harbor Freight sells a knock off of it now. I do not think I'd try to make one but here you can see some close ups of one.

harbor freight bender - YouTube

===

Thank you , that shows it quite well. I Didn't realize that was a commerially available unit. I thought it was something you had made youself...

MVC-018S_15.JPG

Was asked to post some close ups of the bypass system so here they are.

MVC-019S_15.JPG

The cross has the return from the 2 spool valve running the stabilizers, bypass and return from the auto cycle plumbed into it. From there it goes through the filter and back into the tank.

MVC-020S_11.JPG

Trying to show the hose runs here.

MVC-021S_34.JPG

I used long loops when possible to save heat and restrictions of hard 90's. Couldn't help having to have the T's

MVC-022S_25.JPG

Hope this helps.

MVC-023S_18.JPG

I know I have said it before - but - the quality of your work is admirable to say the least. Your attention to detail is NASA worthy. Kudos to you.:clap:

I know I have said it before - but - the quality of your work is admirable to say the least. Your attention to detail is NASA worthy. Kudos to you.:clap:

Thanks, I do take a little pride in stuff I try to make. This one may not be the fastest or lightest, but the stuff we deal with would crush an inertia splitter. It just fits our operation and that is why I wanted to make one as there just isn't one out there like it. Maybe for good reason to some! ;)

Kevin

That is a thing of beauty, I really like your two wedge system. What grade steel did you use for the construction of the wedges, think I'm going to revamp our SpreeCo...:clap::clap:

Kevin

That is a thing of beauty, I really like your two wedge system. What grade steel did you use for the construction of the wedges, think I'm going to revamp our SpreeCo...:clap::clap:

Appreciate the kind words, thanks.

I know it goes against what a lot of people preach here but I have not seen the need for any expensive grade of steel here. On the 2 other splitters we have that I upgraded I just used what the scrap yard had at the time. One is close to 20 years old now with only one ding from a bolt that was hidden in a tree. I have not retouched either of them with a body grinder and they are still sharp enough for me. No breaks or cracks either.

Right out of high school I used an old plowshare for the cutting edge, thinking that it being hard would hold an edge better. It broke about 2 inches up from weld when I had a crotch piece twisted around. V gouged and welded it and it held till I redid the whole wedge 4 years later. Just no need for hardened from personal experience.

The removeable aspect of this one is another reason I'm not worried here. Time will tell but I'm pretty confident, from past experience it will be fine.

It took me 3 days to read through this thread. Thanks for posting it, lots of good info and good to look at professional workmanship. All I can say is this an awesome machine you have built.

Thanks for posting this.

John

Latest posts

Back