CBN Grinding Wheels for Oregon Type Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These are the long lasting aluminum wheels with an abrasive along the edges. You should get 1000 sharpening's from them.

These grinding wheels often have been up close to $200.

Bailey's has them for $129.95

Super Abrasive Cbn 5-3/4" Chainsaw Chain Grinding Wheels | Wheels | Grinding Stones & Wheels | www.baileysonline.com

Diamond Wheel in Chanhassen, MN also has them and sells them on line and on the bay.

These wheels are available from Bailey's and other companies in other sizes besides 5-3/4 X 7/8 X 3/16.

Besides thicker and thinner they are also available in different diameters and hole sizes

There have been a few threads about these through the years, and I have asked a number of A.S. members about them.

Apparently, there are differences between the $100 wheels and the $260 wheels. Bailey's continues to sell both. When I asked, I got the 'you get what you pay for' answer.

Dinasaw 5-3/4" Abn Cyclone Grinding Wheels | Stones & Wheels | Dinasaw Blade Maint | www.baileysonline.com

That said, I am glad that there are affordable alternatives available. Still look forward to trying them at some point. Have only heard good things (aside from the initial price).

Philbert

Does anyone know where you could get a 7/8" to 12mm adaptor to run one of those Dynasaw blades on a Stihl sharpener?

It should be simple enough to get a local machinist to turn you a ring?

That is if you don't live out in the boonies? You never know about people in Alaska?

Diamond Wheel Inc in MN makes the 5-1/2 X 12mm wheels for the USG grinder as well as the ones for the Techomec types

You will have to Google them. Don't forget the Inc or you will get directed wrong. I cannot put any links in here.

You will need to call them 800-328-0808

Last edited:
I am out in the boonies. I figured someone would have come up with something by now. It would be easier to order online. I've already ordered a CBN wheel from another source for my grinder,(its' taking forever to get here) but I'd like to try a Dynasaw.

All you need is an adapter ring that is 1/8" thick and 7/8" OD and 12mm ID.

You ought to be able to get someone on here to whip you one out?

There are a lot or people on here that have a lathe.

I have one of the cheaper CBN grinding wheels talked about in the first post. It came with a aluminum oxide cleaning stone with the original price. It runs smoothly.

So far, the grinding wheel seems very satisfactory, but I haven't sharpened a thousand chains with it yet?

My grinder is a early style Oregon 511A without a light but with the 10* droop capable, cam clamp, vice.

This is the model of Oregon 511A grinder that I have. It is a rather early style with no light and the steel handle with a black ball to bring the head down. This is not my grinder but one almost exactly like it.

316580d1380685680-oregon-511a-grinder-early-model-jpg

This grinder in the picture as well as mine had the tilt vice on it to sharpen the round ground chisel chains as well as semi chisel chains.

I bought my grinder used at a sale and though it was all firmly together and completely when I bought it, when I got home, I discovered that the threaded shank that holds the vice in place was mostly stripped. The nut would only hold the vice in the none tilted position.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find just the vice frame as they are mostly sold as the complete vice. I bought a complete Techomec TL-136 Jolly vice for my grinder which fit perfectly and was exactly like the vice that was on the grinder when I bought it except the Techomec vice was new.

I soon found that all the angles matched perfectly left and right as well as the hook angle. I checked all these with a separate angle finder on a sharpened chain itself. The degree markings on the back of the grinder head only matched at 90 degrees and got worse as you tilted the head more but I don't use that one anyway.

The repeat tooth length left and right came out as respectable as on new chain.

I sharpened about a dozen chains with a Chinese wheel but soon decided to try a less expensive CBN wheel which I was more pleased with.Oregon 511A grinder Early model.jpg

Back