cedar and spruce for a newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half_full

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi All, I usually hang out in the chainsaw forum. Which eventually lead me here because my daily craigslist saw searches found me a 36" MKIII, 36" bar, 3 new milling chains, 2 new full chisel chains and the ladder to make the first cut. I've been reading a great deal here. Thanks to all that contribute.

Couple trees next to a house need to come down. A spruce that's 14-16" DBH and 2 cedar that are both 10-12" DBH. I'll need to take my tree book with me to make positive ID on species.

Plan is to cut trees in longer (16' trailer) sections, paint ends and store in barn until I find a use for them.
Based on the smaller size of these trees, are they worth tinkering with?

If I need a 12' board, how long should I rough cut the spruce?

Sure they are worth tinkering with. Better to learn what you are doing with your new mill on something you don't care much for so your ready when you get a log you really want to mill. I would also mill them now instead of waiting. If you find a use for them, it would be nice having them cut, dried and ready to use.

Thanks for the reply! That's exactly the conclusion I came to as well. I'm gonna cut some shat up cause I can. I hope to make the best of it. But, it may become kindling. At least I learn as I go on a lesser quality wood.

My typical length for a 'needed 12ft piece' is +6"....just in case I end up with some end check.

Have fun!!! That is the most important part....having fun!!!

Scott (take photo's too) B

Thanks Scott. I love how you update your footer for each response.
I couldn't figure out a good way to get a flat side on the smaller cedar logs. So, I ordered the Granberg G555b. It will be here early next week.
I don't actually have my milling saws done yet. I have a husky 394 and 395 that are case split rebuilds. Got all the parts. Guess I better get crackin.

Pics of what I kept from the trees I dropped. Small stuff compared to what we usually see here.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back