Central Boiler 5036 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony.d

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellow wood burners for heat friends.

This week in NE Wisconsin the high has been in the 50*s. I have been adding wood to the boiler just at night when I get home from work. Fill it about half full all oak. Different diameters, but lengths range from 22" to 26" long peices.

I have the furnace thermostat set to go down to 67* at night (sleep better), then it kicks up in the morning to 70* so it's nice for momma and our 2 year old.

Since the overnight lows are low to mid 40's, it seems to me that I'm smoldering too much wood away in a 24 hour period. Ya know, get home from work, open the boiler door and say "didn't think I would of went thru that, but I have more so I'll throw some in".

My boiler doesn't ramp up or boil over (water level is perfect), door nice and tight. Water temp set to 180, reads constintly 181.

Do any of you that have a Central Boiler see this, where you think that you are smoldering too much wood away in a day when its half-way nice out?

Thanks for feedback.

Its Friday! :cheers:

Anthony

Hello,

I have a 6048, and this seems about normal to me, a few questions, do you have a decent ash base built up yet? and do you heat your domestic hot water with your stove? Washing dishes/clothes and showering and just keeping the hot water hot will use up a little wood. I keep my 2100 sq ft house around 60 during the night and 63 during the day, when it's cold cold out, I keep it about 67 or so. I notice that if it's in 40's plus at night, and 60's during the day, I can get away with loading the stove once a day, however when the temp drops below freezing, I'm filling it twice a day, when I get up, and when I go to bed. Also a side note, my pump cycles only when the house calls for heat, so not always running. Also how far are you from your house and what type of pipe did you use?

Hope this helps

:givebeer:

Yeah I noticed the same thing last year and is why I haven't fired mine yet...only seem to need a bit of heat at night. I've heard people on here say owb will "eat as much wood as you feed it" and I tend to agree and you might have just found that out also...guys on here also say they work better when it's cold out and they are working and I tend to agree also...smoldering sucks...I don't know where the wood goes while I'm at work and it's warm out either ? Keep the ash bed deep it seems to help.

Hello,

do you have a decent ash base built up yet?

:

Good question. Also have CB6048. When demand for heat is low I leave my ash level almost to the bottom of the door. Seems to extend the burn time. Dry wood also more important for long burn times in warmer weather.

I have a CB5648 heating 2 houses and DHW. I'm putting around 5 or 6 peices of 24" split wood (not huge either) in a 24hr period, and there is always a few chunks left over on the next loading. This will be the 5th season I've had the CB, and I've found out early on that you won't gain anything stuffing extra wood in when the temps outside are mild. I also leave the ash/coal bed door level as there is still heat content mixed in with the ashes. It takes a little figuring out, but try to put in what you only need for a day for certain temps and you'll see your woodpile not shrinking so fast!

Imho

If you are maintaining 180° during the day. and not overheating. You are feeding it exactly what the stove needs.
I do not know what is going to happen when it gets cold out for you.

Thanks for the replys.

I don't have domestic hot water hooked up. I have an on demand LP unit for that, which I installed a few years ago. I only have the boiler hooked up to the HX in the furnace.

Starting to get a good ash base. I guess it's a learning curve.

Next weeks weather they are saying highs of low to mid 40's, so I'll keep everyone posted on how things are going.

YOUR wood consumption sounds familiar with mine, basically it burns what put in it. Im only putting the water at 150 degrees right now, and I load it at night with just enough for the night.

luckily we have a high mass radiant floor system, so the heat put into the mass during the burn time gives us heat for the non burn time.

when winter hits i go up to full temperature two loads a day.

I have a CB5648 heating 2 houses and DHW. I'm putting around 5 or 6 peices of 24" split wood (not huge either) in a 24hr period, and there is always a few chunks left over on the next loading. This will be the 5th season I've had the CB, and I've found out early on that you won't gain anything stuffing extra wood in when the temps outside are mild. I also leave the ash/coal bed door level as there is still heat content mixed in with the ashes. It takes a little figuring out, but try to put in what you only need for a day for certain temps and you'll see your woodpile not shrinking so fast!

same here will be my 1 season will wait and see how it go

Hi, I'm new to my 5036 this year too, I agree it's definately going to be a learning curve for a while. I turned my water temp setpoint down to 165* for now while it's not too cold, and I don't seem to be going through much wood at all. I don't know if this is the best approach or not, and I think I'll have to set the temp up higher when it actually gets cold out, but it's working real well for now, Good Luck!

Cb5036

This is my second season with the 5036. In the Fall and Spring I keep the setpoint at 175F. When it gets cold I go back to the 185F factory setting. You will find as I have that you will save a LOT of wood doing this. Also load only what you may need. Right now, before it gets cold is the time to learn. Do not be afraid of coming home to water temp of 135F, it happens. Get in the habit of looking at the bottom numbers on the seven day forecast, it is the best indicator for wood use (also forecast wind speeds). Once it gets cold it's a no brainer...load it up! These things work fantastic when it's cold. Last Winter we were below zero and the 5036 sounded like a freight train as the water just above the firebox boiled (this is normal and does not cause water loss). Enjoy the OWB....I freakin love mine!:cheers:

Only load as much as needed.

This is my 3rd year with my CB. I tried filling it up, thinking I could get by with 1 fill a week. Didn't happen. It will burn up what you put in there. I load 2 times a day.( Before I leave for work and after I return from work ) I put just enough to make it till the next load. I find I save a lot of wood doing this. It takes a while to figure out how much is needed. ( relit the thing a few times ) It heats my domestic hot water so I have a plan ahead when the Mrs. does laundry. I have an automatic thermostat that sets to 45 degrees while we are gone to work. Saves wood! I have tried leaving the house at a constant temp vs lowering the temp during the day and reheating before we return. Lowering saves wood. The house is well insulated.

YMMV.

Scott

Last edited:
This is my 3rd year with my CB. I tried filling it up, thinking I could get by with 1 fill a week. Didn't happen. It will burn up what you put in there. I load 2 times a day.( Before I leave for work and after I return from work ) I put just enough to make it till the next load. I find I save a lot of wood doing this. It takes a while to figure out how much is needed. ( relit the thing a few times ) It heats my domestic hot water so I have a plan ahead when the Mrs. does laundry. I have an automatic thermostat that sets to 45 degrees while we are gone to work. Saves wood! I have tried leaving the house at a constant temp vs lowering the temp during the day and reheating before we return. Lowering saves wood. The house is well insulated.

YMMV.

Scott

Lowering does save wood! My 1st floor sets back to 50F at 6PM then back to 68 at 7AM. This works awesome and drastically cuts wood consumption.

Back