Chain barely turning on Husky 44

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester356

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got the Husky 44 out today to cut some pines and when I rev it up the chain turns very slowly. It would barely cut any. It is tight but not too tight and in place. What could be causing this problem?

Based on your limited information it could be one of several things...
  • Bad clutch
  • Frozen sprocket tip
  • Incorrect chain gauge
  • Burred drivers
  • Bad carb
  • Bad gas
  • Bad plug
  • Plugged muffler
Etc. etc...

Got the Husky 44 out today to cut some pines and when I rev it up the chain turns very slowly. It would barely cut any. It is tight but not too tight and in place. What could be causing this problem?

Does it sound normal? I mean the idle and the way it runs? Chain brake on? Take off the bar and chain and see how it revs up from there.

Ok thanks for the reply's its not the gas I am using it the other saws and they are running fine. The chain has been on it awhile and the chain is tight but not too tight. It just suddenly started doing this. I am smelling an odor like motor oil smells in a truck when it leaks on exhaust manifolds. The saw appears to be making more noise than normal but I don't run it that much. I normaly use ms250 for jobs that size but it is down too.

does it sound like the engine is under a load? check sprocket to see if the chain has worn into it. It can bind down. I think if you take cover off, chain off and inspect the diagnosis will be very simple

Ok thanks for the reply's its not the gas I am using it the other saws and they are running fine. The chain has been on it awhile and the chain is tight but not too tight. It just suddenly started doing this. I am smelling an odor like motor oil smells in a truck when it leaks on exhaust manifolds. The saw appears to be making more noise than normal but I don't run it that much. I normaly use ms250 for jobs that size but it is down too.
That smell is probably the clutch getting too hot.
Does it have a chain break?
Can you move the chain by hand?
Can you remove the the clutch cover and take a look?

Back