chain pitch. 3/8 vs .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacG1986

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all. So I've got a 025 stihl with a 18in .325 bar and chain. What is the difference between the 2? Is one better than the other? Can I get a 3/8 sprocket for my 025 and if so should I?

I'm not sure I understand the question...I assume you are asking the difference in .325 and 3/8? This article does an ok job explaining pitch/gauge. article--> http://www.ereplacementparts.com/article/1507/Chainsaw_Chain_Measurements_Sizes_and_Types.html

I'm pretty new at all the fancy chainsaw talk, but it seems that .325 is more suited for saws under 50cc depending on what you are cutting. The less- aggressive pitch requires less power. I run 3.25 on both my 50cc saws. Although someone will say "there is a search button...blah blah." I am interested in what others post as well.

Happy forth.

.325 is probably the clear winner for an 025/250. There is regular 3/8 which that saw will NOT pull well, and 3/8 lo pro or picco, which will be ok. The two 3/8 are different in sprocket and bar tip and do not interchange well. Stay with .325 and keep a sharp non safety chain on it like RC or RS and I bet you will be happy.

Stay with .325. It has a thinner kerf and so it cuts faster and easier than 3/8. Even some 60cc saws come with .325 stock. But thats pretty much the cut off.

Hey sawmikaze so to run a 3/8 picco on the 025 I'd need a different drum right? Are they easy to swap?

They sell the drums for 3/8 picco on eBay.

Not sure if you need a picco bar to match though. I believe picco is .050 and .325 is .063 bar groove.

The 025 I use runs a 16" picco bar and chain and cuts very well. Light saw.

I think the best chain for the OP is the .325 pitch, either 16" or 18". I would not put a 3/8 anything on that saw, but that is just me. I just don't think you gain that much, and it costs money to switch the clutch drum, chain, and bar.

I have run 16" bars on my MS 261 in both .325 and 3/8 pitch, and even though that saw stock is about 30% more power than an 025, the 3/8 pitch chain definitely slows it down.

The kerf is wider on 3/8 (.375) pitch, and the chain is a little heavier too. Most people would put 3/8 pitch on their small saw so they only have one set of grinder discs / files to maintain for all their saws. That's why I use 3/8. But if I only had one saw, I'd certainly go with what it was designed for.

I think the best chain for the OP is the .325 pitch, either 16" or 18". I would not put a 3/8 anything on that saw, but that is just me. I just don't think you gain that much, and it costs money to switch the clutch drum, chain, and bar.

I have run 16" bars on my MS 261 in both .325 and 3/8 pitch, and even though that saw stock is about 30% more power than an 025, the 3/8 pitch chain definitely slows it down.

The kerf is wider on 3/8 (.375) pitch, and the chain is a little heavier too. Most people would put 3/8 pitch on their small saw so they only have one set of grinder discs / files to maintain for all their saws. That's why I use 3/8. But if I only had one saw, I'd certainly go with what it was designed for.
3/8lp is smaller and lighter than .325

3/8 low profile (picco) is different than regular 3/8. It's even smaller and easier to pull than. 325. I have it on my 025 and my little 14" echo top handle. Works great.

It really should be renamed. I believe it shares distance between the cutters with 3/8, but that's about it.

Someone with more knowledge may chime in.

Edit:Kenjax beat me to it.

Yah I've got a 16 picco bar and chain so all I need for swapping is a drum. The .325 just don't preform like I want. My ms 211 with the 16in 3/8 picco out cuts the 025 with 18in .325 so that's why I'm thinking about wanting to run the 3/8.

I think the OP needs to price it out and ask if it's worth it to him. I thought he was saying he had a .325 set up, but he's got a spare pico set up. If you had to buy bar, chain and sprocket I think you'd have to ask if it was worth it.

I converted my saw to 3/8 when the bar was worn out. I was going to have to buy a new bar either way. Rim sprocket was a few bucks, and I only went with a couple Husky chains to try it out.

Replace it. I've got a 16in 3/8 picco bar and chain already on hand. So I won't have to buy anything other than a sprocket. I'm not concerned about cost I am looking to improve performance. Even with a sharp chan on the 025 my ms 211 that is 10cc smaller out cuts it. Also if I switch the 025 and 211 will use the same picco set up so will be a bonus as well..

Well I know how to sharpen chains. My local Stihl dealer only has boxed chains. So my .325 low kickback chain even razor sharp just don't chip out enough wood like my other saws do. What .325 chain do you run full chisel? Can I get a non safety .325 that will rip better?

Latest posts

Back