Chain saw spark plug for old Homelite.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8mac

Spring Fling
Reaction score
Hello all. I have tried everything I can think of to try and find a new spark plug for my Homelite 990G. Mikes site lists that it uses an HO-3 plug. No one around here carries that plug and they ask me if I am sure if it is a Champion number. I can also not find any cross reference to this plug. I guess what I am asking is what plug would work in this old saw. Thanks.

H0 3 plug:

Hi, I've sent an email to champion spark plug company. Hope to hear from them shortly. I checked my old champion books and would hate to say what plug to recomend. I checked my discontinued spark plug list and the H0 3 plug was not listed there. So will wait for a responce from champion and let you know what they say. Lewis.

If I had to guess I would say CJ4 or CJ6, ONLY A GUESS. I'll be sure to let you know what their responce is.

Plug

Thanks Lewis, I appreciate your efforts. Maybe some one here who has one of these saws can tell me what plug they are using. I pulled an old Motorcraft plug out of it and can't find any reference to that plug either. Some one way back must have put it in there, it is an AR42. Thanks again.

To gr8mac:

The AR42 Motocraft plug crosses to a RJ12YC Champion plug number. Looking at the champion numbers listed for Homelite that plug looks like its way to hot a heat range to be in that saw. I'm still waiting on a reply to see if there is an available replacement plug for the HO 3 plug listed in Mikes site. Lewis.

To Ray Benson

Ray, Thanks for the tip. In my old listings the 353 Autolite crosses to a J6C Champion number. Still would like to see what Champion comes up with. Your number (J6) sounds more like the heat range I'd use. Thanks again. Lewis.

J6, J6C or J6J is a standard tip plug equal to the HO8A plug
that is the next heat range hotter than the HO3
J4, J4C or J4J would be the next range colder
My first chice would be The J4J because that is a retracted electrode type plug made for 2 strokes. The link may be of some help

Plug cross ref.

Plug

Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. I am still interested in what Champion has to say Lewis. Let me know when you get the chance. I never noticed the chain saw plug chart on Mikes site before, must be a new addition. Thanks again.

according to my oldest Champ catalog (1981), HO-3 is the coldest 14mm 3/8 reach plug in the platinum/gold palladium list. Next up is UJ-7G, and next is HO-8/HO-8A.

According to that list, the nearest crosses for HO-3 in the std would be J2J and UJ2 (a bit cooler yet) UJ81J and J4, UJ4 (a hair warmer.

While this and some newer catalogs do not specifically list 990G, it does list several other models of a similar age reccomending J6, J6J for most of them. There is a note suggesting use of J4/J4J for cold fouling.

In the racing plug section there are J60G and J64G plugs listed at about the heat range you're looking for in the HO-3, slightly warmer than UJ7-G.

Trouble is I bet that most or all of these gold types are very hard to come by. Champion has been sold to Federal-Mogul (I believe) who has had some pretty severe troubles lately. To my knowledge they haven't even printed a current catalog like you see in the spark plug section of most stores in two years. I recently saw an article outlining the procedure for bushing Ford plug holes down to accept 14mm plugs as many cooler heat range (racing) Ford plugs are gone. The current Champion website suggests they are doing us all a favor in keeping costs down by consolidation and pruning the slow-movers out.

The good news, if there is any, is that few of us need those old monsters to earn a living with, just start 'em for giggles. If we fouled a plug now and then, we'd live with it. Probably not very likely we'd work one hard enough to hole a piston from too hot a plug.

To gr8mac:

OK, have not received any responce from Champion as yet. I have a 1987 Champion Spark plug book. I've checked it every which way I could and have not come up with the H0 3 plug number or any cross to it. From the post listed, I would use the J4J heat range. Will email again and see whats up with champion. Lewis.

H0 3 replacement plug:

I did some searching on a Champion website and the replacement plugs I come up with for the Champion H0 3 plug are: Autolite 353 and Champion J4C plug numbers. Still waiting on an email from Champion, but doupt I'll get one. Lewis.

Plugs

Hey Lewis. Thanks for all the research. I had to go with a J6C. I wanted to go with J4C but that plug too, is not kept around where I live. I bought the plug at a country napa store. They said in there computers the J4J crossed to the J6C which is what I bought. Atleast it is not as hot as the plug that was in there and the saw seems to like it a little better.

Latest posts

Back