ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Chain sharpening angles on Oregon 73LG please

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by albngore, Dec 28, 2005.

1. albngore

albngore ArboristSite Lurker

On my .325 pitch full chisel chains I have always used a 10-degree down angle and a 35-degree side angle when filing with a clamp on file guide. I just bought a used 372XP with a 73LG full chisel chain (3/8 pitch by.058 gauge) and cannot find information on how to file this chain. I also need to know if a .025 raker guide is the right one for the 73LG. I cut softwood almost exclusively, so I would also like to know if when I replace this chain should I get the same chain or a different spec.? Would someone please advise me?

Thank you.

2. trimmmed

trimmmed B?rgermeister

Keep the 10 degree down bubble, change to a 7/32" file and change the angle to 25 degrees. Not sure on raker depth w.o. checking. But for $3, Baileys has a file-o-plate for that chain, which'll set all your angles and your rakers.

3. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

Trimmed is right about the angles and file size - at least that is what Oregon recommends.
    The Husky combo roller guide/raker guides works wery well both for the cutters and rakers.
    The blue one is the right one for the 73LG.

4. jokers

jokers Banned

73LG is the chain that I use most. 10° downangle on the file handle while filing inside out is the recommended angle although 90° to the bar works nearly as well. What is easiest to achieve precisely for you?

25° on the topplate is the generic factory setting. Cutting clean softwood you can go as steep as 35° and possibly find some speed in the cut.

Be careful that you don`t get too much or too little sideplate or "hook" angle. The inside topplate angle which is derived from the amount of hook that you have should be around 60° measured from the bar. On a saw like the 372 in softwood you can run more hook giving you a sharper inside angle. This angle is produced by how high you hold the file against the tooth. 1/5 the file diameter(7/32) above the topplate is the recommended amount, less than this gives you more hook.

Russ

5. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Tree Freak

Hey Russ, was that a copy and paste from the forestry forum?
    You're great at dishing out information you have never used except to pontify.
    Maybe you should add a disclaimer to your signature: Googlemeister of AS.
    Hahaha

Anyway albgnore, I'll see if I can find some 325 chain that has been properly filed and take some pictures.
    John

6. jokers

jokers Banned

Hi John,

Glad to see that your reading comprehension and mental acuity still sucks. Try going through this clean and sober Crutchboy. :laugh:
    Let me walk you through where it`s clear to anyone with a greater than grade 8 education that albngore clearly stated that he needs info on 73LG, not .325chain.

Although I do concede that your 73LG is pretty good, I doubt that you`ll find any good .325 amongst your chains.

I think that you are simply upset that I have not needed to dedicate my whole life, or even a significant portion of it, to learning what you may know after a lifetime in the bush. Don`t feel too bad John, a productive society cannot function without an ample supply of "neck downers". Your position is secure.

Russ

7. Freakingstang

Freakingstang Doctor Freakinstein

I have the oregon file clamp on deal too. I have always used the 10 degree up, not down from inside out. Are yous sure it is supposed to be down? Mine cut fairly well, like a new chain. I usually make them closer to 5 degrees, again up, not down. I think this makes a faster, cleaner cut. My father claims it is better than a new chain, but I think it is similar. I also make the other angle 30 degrees. They cut extremely well for a non professional sharpened chain, although they don't last as long as a new edge on a new chain . I cut mostly medium to hard, hardwoods.

Maybe I'll try these angles you suggested and try it out.

8. Crofter

Crofter Addicted to ArboristSite

Handle down; pointed up! In any case follow the same tilt as the top plate and you wont go wrong.

9. Freakingstang

Freakingstang Doctor Freakinstein

ok, I've got tha handle down and come up with the fililing motion. I think we are saying the same thing.

10. albngore

albngore ArboristSite Lurker

Thanks fellas for all the advice

I have been doing what you all advise, but have been using a 35-degree angle and it seems to hold a pretty good edge in the softwood I cut. I always use an Oregon clamp-on file guide and yes it is a bit clumsy but it does keep me trued up well. I am intrigued by the roller guides I have heard about and folks seem to like them alot. I'm wondering if these rollers also keep the file at the appropriate 10-degree (handle) down angle as well as holding the correct side angle? Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  11. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

Keeping the file at the right height is where the roller guide really shines!:)

It also works as a "handle" to rotate the chain, so you don't need to use gloves when sharpening.