Chain Sharpening Mandrel Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this mandrel build useful for the entire Arborist site, or just for milling purposes?

• Total voters

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Building a Chain Sharpening Mandrel

Mandrel11.JPG

I built this chain sharpening mandrel for Art Martin who was a long time poster to this form. He taught me a few things about hand sharpening chainsaw chains for cutting firewood, milling and also his race saw chains. He was quite the guy to know. So I built this chain sharpening mandrel for Art. You will see pictures and descriptions of the first mandrel I built for myself and I will try to explain how I fabricated the mandrel.

List of Materials

2) 6” long x 5/8” min to 1” wide x 1/8” or 4mm thick planer or joiner blades

4) 1” x 1-1/2” x 1/8” mild steel, flat stock

1) 1-1/2”W x 9” long x 1/8” thick, mild steel, flat stock

1) 2” x 2” x 3/8” x 5” long angle iron

1) 5/8”- 18NF X 3” long bolt

1) 5/8” -18NF nut

1) 1-1/2” long x 2” wide x 1/8” thick flat stock (used to shim the locking bolt to correct height)

2) ¼-28 NF x 1” long bolts

2) ¼ -28 NF NI-lock nuts

1) ¼ “diameter hardened round stock x 5” long (I made mine from an old tapping handle)

DSC01826.JPG

After cutting a 5” piece of 3/8” thick x 2”x 2” angle iron I welded the 9” long x 1-1/2” flat stock to the back of angle iron. I measured down 3/8” from the top-back of the angle iron. Keep it square to your measurements for welding.

DSC01821.JPG

This is what it should look like from the front.

The next step is to tig-weld the 1-1/2” x 1” x 1/8” mild steel flat stock to the planer blades.

DSC03659.JPG

On a flat welding surface I tig-welded the 1” wide surface flush with the bottom side of the blade. It is important to keep the blades and add on pieces flat to your flat welding surface and weld both sides. If you don’t have a tig-welder to do this part, take it to a shop that can do this process for you. Be sure to dull the cutting edge of the blade as it will be facing down.

Once the blades and add on pieces have been welded and any welding beads ground smooth, flush the two blades together and clamp them together. Tack the two blades together (small tac’s) on the add-on welded pieces. This will now allow you to drill the two ¼” holes needed together at the same time and to hold the blades in perfect alignment when installed on the base.

When you prepare to drill the holes in the add-on welded pieces I marked and drilled mine ½” from the top and ½” from the side. This gives the chain drive teeth clearance up to .404 chains to pass over the bolts without hitting the bolt shoulders.

With the holes now drilled in the blade add-on pieces clamp the tac welded blades to the front side of the backing plate welded to the angle iron. Clamp the blades 1/8” above the backing plate and use the holes as a guide and drill the ¼” holes in the backing plate. Remember, camphor the holes after drilling.

Leaving the bolts to hold the two blades together, use a bench grinder, belt sander or a had grinder and radius the corners of the add-on pieces and remove the tac welds. A quarter is a good radius size.

With the 1” long shouldered ¼”-28 bolts/NI-lock nuts, put a 1/16” thick ¼” flat washer between the blades and bolt the blades to the backing plate you drilled the holes in. This shim washer allows the blades to spring back when releasing the jam bolt pressure.

Welding and drilling the blades for perfect alignment is probably the most important process in building this mandrel.

Adding the Jam Bolt

Mandrel-0111.JPG

In this picture you can see that I drilled ¼” holes through the head of the 5/8”-18 bolt. You only need one hole, but it looks trick with holes on all flat surfaces of the bolt head. I used a couple pieces of rubber tubing on each end of the T-handle to keep it from sliding out.

Adding the nut that holds the drive bolt at the proper height will depend on the width of planer or jointer blade you use. I spaced the nut with the bolt installed so that as the bolt protrudes from the nut the top of the bolt is approximately ¼” from the top of the blade. So the spacer thickness may vary depending on your blade width.

Once you have decided on the correct space thickness center the spacer and tac weld it to the base. Tac weld the 5/8-18NF nut to the spacer with the bolt installed so that the nut is ¾” from the surface of the blade. It is important to keep the bolt square to the blade. When you are sure the bolt is square to the blade, finish weld the spacer and nut.

With a DA hand grinder or belt sander, smooth the end of the bolt, you want a smooth flat surface when you tighten the bolt to the blade surface.

With a bit of paint, your color of choice, and a few drops of oil on the jam bolt, you’ll be ready for chain sharpening. Just a note: I never painted mine; I was in too much of a hurry to use mine and didn’t want to wait for paint to dry.

Hope this will inspire someone to build their own chain sharpening mandrel.

820wards

jerry-

Jerry,

Thank you very much for sharing this, and in such detail.

I have been interested since seeing it mentioned in the Art Martin thread!
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...ger-please-stand-up.4932/page-34#post-3970944

As for your survey question, there are several threads on chain vises used for hand sharpening by enthusiasts and racers in the 'Chainsaw' threads. I will post a link to this thread in some of those, as this design is somewhat different from those already posted.

Philbert

Looks good Jerry! I like to see the high quality and finish of your fabbing work.

In contrast to a chain flopping over when sitting on top of the bar I can appreciate that the mandrel would hold the chain very steady which is very useful when filing.

One small issue I have with such an item is unless the operator loosens the mandrel shifts the chain and tightens the mandrel after filing every cutter (which would be a PITA) then the operator has to move their arms and body along to the next cutter. This can result in non-equal angles on the cutters being formed (especially by newbies) if one does not take that into account.

I found I get more reproducible angles by staying in the same position and use the file to move the next cutter to a predetermined position on the bar and then file it. I guess the mandrel does not need to be fully tightened but then that would be not that different to a well maintained bar.

Looks good Jerry! I like to see the high quality and finish of your fabbing work.

In contrast to a chain flopping over when sitting on top of the bar I can appreciate that the mandrel would hold the chain very steady which is very useful when filing.

One small issue I have with such an item is unless the operator loosens the mandrel shifts the chain and tightens the mandrel after filing every cutter (which would be a PITA) then the operator has to move their arms and body along to the next cutter. This can result in non-equal angles on the cutters being formed (especially by newbies) if one does not take that into account.

I found I get more reproducible angles by staying in the same position and use the file to move the next cutter to a predetermined position on the bar and then file it. I guess the mandrel does not need to be fully tightened but then that would be not that different to a well maintained bar.

Morning Bob,
It's been awhile since I've posted since complete rebuild of this site.

I have found with 6" blades, the jam nut is pressing on the blades so one can sharpen three teeth going the same direction before moving the chain. I use the mandrel in my shop and have a small vise I can clamp to a saw horse in the field as needed. I like that the tool steel blades do not compress over repeated use like a piece of mild steel even stainless steel or wood.

Hope your still milling those big slabs, I just did some up grades to my mill motor and haven't had time for milling yet. I've also been waiting for the temperature here cool down.

jerry-

The poll question....impossible to answer a 'poll question' that has the word "OR" in it.(I'm sort of weird when it comes to grammatical correctness...sorry)

As far as the benefits to be able to sharpen my loops while no on the saw bar...I very much like the idea! For a couple of reasons, #1: Reduce the amount of minute particles from the chain getting into my expensive long bars, and #2: better holding 'power' on the link being sharpened

Thanks, keep the build coming along!!

Scott (hate sharpening, but its an evil that has to be lived with) B

Do you recall a significant performance issue between the two designs, or was it more due to the size of the planer/jointer blades available?

Philbert

Morning,
I found that even using stainless steel to clamp the hardened drive teeth tight on the chain, over time it indented the clamping area where the jam bolt contacted the drive link.
If someone cannot fined 1/8" thick planer blades, tool steel can be purchased from Mc Master Carr or Granger. It's worth the extra $$ spent to have something that will last forever.
jerry-

Scott,

The poll question....impossible to answer a 'poll question' that has the word "OR" in it.(I'm sort of weird when it comes to grammatical correctness...sorry)

I don't profess to be a tech writer, glad you like the build. :D

As far as the benefits to be able to sharpen my loops while no on the saw bar...I very much like the idea! For a couple of reasons, #1: Reduce the amount of minute particles from the chain getting into my expensive long bars, and #2: better holding 'power' on the link being sharpened
Thanks, keep the build coming along!!

I don't like getting filings in the bar groves either, I use an old tooth brush to remove the excess filings before I wash the chain with WD40. The mandrel does hold the chain very tight and doesn't allow the tooth I'm filing move at all. The planer blades also keeps the chain level all the way across making raker level filing consistent.

jerry-

Latest posts

Back