Chainsaw crank bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am fittin new crank bearings into my 044 and have bought an OEM pto bearing and an NSK sealed bearing.
Can I take the seals off the NSK bearing and run it?, can the seals be left in place and the case seal omitted?, can one seal be taken out and the other seal (still installed) used as the case seal?.
Are OEM seals better than AM and why?.
My local Stihl dealer wanted $166nz for two OEM bearings and $76nz for two case seals, are there cheaper options for OEM bearings/ seals?.
Thoughts please.
Cheers.

The seals that are supplied on a 6202-2RS bearing are "environmental seals", they aren't air seals. Those seals are only to keep crud out of the bearing. Yes, you can use it, just pull both shields. If it's supplied with grease, remove it and lube with oil.

Case seals are air-tight double lip seals designed to seal against both pressure and vacuum.

I use aftermarket bearing on 044/440s and here in the states we pay $12usd for both bearings and seals. Ebay is a great source.

I have built a goodly number of 044 and 440`s but have used OEM to date, I just received my first sets of AM bearings and intend to use them in my next 440 build. After initial inspection of the new AM bearings they look and feel fine to me but only run time will tell.

i built a ms440 and a 372XP with the china bearings -- the 440 has seen a lot of use , the 372 only light use--

been a couple years-- both are still going -- the 372 has been running 50 to one mix lately too--

i would take the cheap china bearings over the plastic clipped bearings that husky put in some of their 372s any day.

I have used a lot of aftermarket seals and have had no issues with them. Do not buy OEM seals anymore unless I have to.

I have not used any of the aftermarket Stihl clutch side bearings, always OEM. Finally bought a set however have not installed them yet.

On the flywheel side I have used quite a few different brands. Pop out the seals. Seem to be using mostly Koyos these days, brand does not matter as long as it is a decent bearing. I have used quite a few "Chinese" bearings on other types of equipment from lathes and drill presses to my antique stump grinder with no issues so far.

if you have "sealed" bearings or shielded bearings just pop the seals or shields out before you install them, that way they can be lubricated. i've had an extensive dilemma with myself on this issue of seals and the guys here helped me conclude to NOT rely on integral seals in "sealed" bearings ... pop them off, turn them into open bearings, and use the proper seals with the saw...

of course, this does not include the model of saw that have proprietary bearing/seal combo's . pretty sure your 044 isn't one of them

My 044 is the early 10mm with the red switchgear, I am fitting a ported 54mm 'big bore' 046 cylinder and 046 crank. This will be an experimental saw and am quite prepared to return it back to stock if need be.

Good to know about the AM bearings and seals, I rebuilt my MS260 with AM bearings and piston pin clips and suffered catastrophic failure, I couldn't work out if it was the bearings or clips that failed, when I pulled it apart I found the bearings were rumbly and notchy and a dark grey color and one clip had disappeared.
I found a used good condition complete MS260 crankcase and used that with a new cylinder and it is still going and the compression is currently sitting at 180psi.

if you have "sealed" bearings or shielded bearings just pop the seals or shields out before you install them, that way they can be lubricated. i've had an extensive dilemma with myself on this issue of seals and the guys here helped me conclude to NOT rely on integral seals in "sealed" bearings ... pop them off, turn them into open bearings, and use the proper seals with the saw...

of course, this does not include the model of saw that have proprietary bearing/seal combo's . pretty sure your 044 isn't one of them
is the nachi bearing for a 372 still the same # 6202 c3 ?

Been and bought two bearings for my 372, 6202DDUCM 1607 is what was given to me, the bearing supply house salesman told me they would be good with dust.

Latest posts

Back