Chainsaw guys and arbo's - undersized bar - no problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the palm stem good for anything?
Grind up for mulch?
I might have sent the women next door.

It's very wet and heavy, more like squashed wet grass clippings. Also has a tendency to turn acidic.

Not much good really, but some places take it and just leave it in a big pile for ages then mix it in with other stuff.

When it dries out there wouldn't be much volume to it.

I strongly suggest looking up Worksafe B.C. and seeing if you can download the "Falllers and Buckers Manual. This is the standard of tree falling and bucking in British Columbia, where big time logging was invented.:)

I couldn't find the link when I've looked in the past but if you could provide one for this near-mythical document, I'd gladly download and read it.... :cheers:

bar size

Thats the way we do most of the cutting around here, sometimes if the tree is just a little bigger we just bore the majority of the center out and the cut like u did in the video. As i was taught it is possible to cut up to 2 1/2 times ur bar length doing as i explained. 99.9% of the time i run a 20" inch bar on my ms460 and have taken down soem pretty big oak and cherry

This may not be the same as the one for order, but here's a free download of the BC Faller Training Standard (Some good stuff).
http://www2.worksafebc.com/Portals/Forestry/FallingAndBucking.asp

also, the previously linked "Production Felling through Safety" was WONDERFUL!! I'd never learned any quantifiable method for determining wedge affectiveness. GREAT stuff, thanks for the post!!

Anyone care to weigh in (in detail) on different notch techniques aloft for different situations (i.e. to aviod the tip falling first, to cause the butt to jump, to make the butt fall first, to cause to fall flat, etc.)?

Thanks!

Also, great video! i love your them all! and as a side note, i saw your "tongue and groove" video months ago and while it was sure a cool little trick i couldn't figure why to use it... UNTIL i read "Production Felling..." Thanks again!!! It all makes me want to get back to work!! (not sure if that's a good thing though...)

Latest posts

Back