"Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Will Malloff PDF Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A recent thread here regarding loaning this book out finally got me to dig out my copy and scanner and start scanning all the pages to create a PDF of the whole book. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while now, and since joining this site back in the spring I've been surprised at the demand that's out there for it, not to mention the price it commands. Being as it's no longer in print, and since new copies are next to impossible to find since only something like 20,000 were printed to begin with, I don't think I'm doing any harm by copying the book into PDF form. I started out tonight and managed to do up the first 3 chapters in about 3 hours. Most of that was spent rotating and cropping the images, and then finding my copy of Acrobat and figuring out how to use it all over again. It's been a while. I only had Acrobat 6, but I'm going to grab a copy of 8 so that I can run text recognition and index it so it's searchable too. So without further ado, here is:

*UPDATED*Chainsaw Lumbermaking Chapters 1-7

That now comprises about 750 of the slightly over 200 pages, and the rest will go quicker now that I have a system worked out. The file I posted came in at about 5.6 MB, the original uncompressed one was 111MB. I will be keeping full-resolution master copies if anyone ever wants one, but I will also keep playing with settings to get the regular filesize down as much as possible. Also on that note, I only have 10MB of webspace where I put it for now, and I don't really have anything anywhere else. So if anyone has some space where they can throw it and/or subsequent files, or if it's possible to put it up here somewhere, please let me know, or just download and re-post it.

I'll post additional chapters as I get them done, and once the whole book is done including covers etc. I will create a single master file and put it up on BitTorrent and Rapidshare. I'm glad, this is turning out to be not nearly as difficult as I thought it would, though still quite time consuming.

Cheers. :cheers:

EDIT: Don't know WTF happened with that last page there, I'll fix it and re-upload the file tomorrow. I'll post when it's fixed. FIXED.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!!

Alot of great info in there...

It's still copywrited material. You would need the author's or publisher's permission to do this. The book has not fallen into "public domain".

Mark

Thanks thats alwful generous of you spending that kind of time on a project like that it will be greatly appreciated by all! Thanks:clap:

Great post! This will be so helpful to alot of people here.And since it's out of print,that makes it even better.:clap: Mark

Yeah, be careful. Out of print does not mean its public domain. Most likely they'll tell you to quit it...Is it 50 years that a publication must be out of print to become public domain?

It's still copywrited material. You would need the author's or publisher's permission to do this. The book has not fallen into "public domain".

Mark

I have up to chapter 7 completed now. I further optimized the settings so that everything up to ch. 7 comes in at about the same file size (6MB) as the previous 1-3, so I just replaced the whole file. Unfortunately if I run character recognition to make it searchable, the file comes in at 92MB!! That doesn't seem reasonable and I think there must be a way to reduce it. I noticed I had missed a couple pages from chapter 2 so they're in now, and the odd size problem with the last page in chapter 3 should be OK too.

Chainsaw Lumbermaking Chapters 1-7

Also, for the record, if the publisher or author sends me a takedown notice, I have no problem complying with that. I'm not looking to benefit in any way doing this, just to give some folks access to something they might otherwise never get to look at. I've seen other books posted on here in the past, so I dunno.

Last edited:
Chapters 8-9

This is where the rubber hits the road in this book. The quality is a bit reduced to keep the file size down a bit, but it's still perfectly readable. I think maybe there isn't a 10MB limit on my space any more though, because I'm over that now and it didn't gripe about it. If so I'll put the quality up a bit more so the pictures can be zoomed in on better.

Great...Now it is starting to get into the good stuff.

(f you run out of space you can also download it into sites like you send it which will allow larger files but these sites usually have a time limit on how long files stay. My wife uses this working at home all the time with large files that are too big for peoples mailboxes.

http://www.yousendit.com

Thanks for sharing.

I like the way Malloff modified the Alaskan mill such that the chain can be swapped in situ. That mod is on my "to do" list.

Not so much on the winch. OK, I guess, if you are milling at home, but I mill in the woods, hauling gear to the tree, so I'm not going to haul any more than the bare necessities.

Thanks for sharing.

I like the way Malloff modified the Alaskan mill such that the chain can be swapped in situ. That mod is on my "to do" list.

Not so much on the winch. OK, I guess, if you are milling at home, but I mill in the woods, hauling gear to the tree, so I'm not going to haul any more than the bare necessities.

Yeah, but if you were pushing an 090 your opinion might change really quick! First, it's like putting your ear a foot away from a dirtbike exhaust, and second, it vibrates like a jackhammer.

I'm also planning on doing some mods to my gear over the winter. I've been meaning to drill a hole through the one guide shoe so that I can tension the chain on my 395 while it's mounted to the mill. That's one area where I really prefer the 660. I like the winch idea as long as I can drive to within a couple dozen feet of the log. Guess I could always use the winch on the quad if i could slow it down a bit!

Latest posts

Back