"Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Will Malloff PDF Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
none of us would have anything if not for you

Wow, didn't know I had that much power!:bowdown: :bowdown: :D

Anywho, I got the Rapidshare thing figured out now, so the file should be good for a while. I think it'll get automatically deleted if it isn't accessed for 90 days or something. You can get that one here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/1852683...ng_by_Will_Malloff__1982__Searchable_Text.pdf

I also started a Torrent that contains both the high-res and low-res files., which can be found here:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2190696

I can't guarantee much upload speed while I'm using the computer, but I'll let it seed at full speed overnight etc. If we get a few people with the file it should speed it up significantly.

Important

Hi all. I just received a Cease & Desist / Takedown notice letter in the mail from Mr. Malloff's lawyer. As I said at the beginning, I have no problem complying with that and intend to do so. I had already stopped sharing the files a while ago, but I would ask ANYONE who downloaded it and is still seeding it over BitTorrent to delete the file and stop. I have asked the lawyer about the legality of folks who own a hardcopy of the book also possessing the PDF file, but until I hear back it should be off-limits.

Hopefully something good comes of this, like a re-printing or a commercially available E-Book format. The demand is certainly here for it.

Hi all. I just received a Cease & Desist / Takedown notice letter in the mail from Mr. Malloff's lawyer. As I said at the beginning, I have no problem complying with that and intend to do so. I had already stopped sharing the files a while ago, but I would ask ANYONE who downloaded it and is still seeding it over BitTorrent to delete the file and stop. I have asked the lawyer about the legality of folks who own a hardcopy of the book also possessing the PDF file, but until I hear back it should be off-limits.

Hopefully something good comes of this, like a re-printing or a commercially available E-Book format. The demand is certainly here for it.

Interesting. I did download a copy, but I also own the book. However, I bought the book USED, so I am sure that Maloff has not received a dime of that transaction. Hopefully they are considering a reprint or an update of some kind and are trying to protect the potential market. In any case, you did a great job in trying to fill the void that existed and with the best of intentions. Thanks to Maloff for his great book and to you for your efforts to bring it to us here at AS.

My e-copy had a "fatal error" after the first time I looked at it, so it's already deleted.

Perhaps Mr. Malloff could write an updated version of his book instead of pading his lawyer's pockets? After all, I can't really go out and buy an 090G as I believe he suggested in the book (only viewed the file breifly.) I'm guessing there are other out-of-date tips in there.

Maybe he could add some info on all the new bandsaws and lucas mills and it would be worth buying as a "home lumbermaking" reference book?

Mr. Malloff appears to have a lot of ingenuity, he should put it to uses to help the world, not his lawyer!

Perhaps Mr. Malloff could write an updated version of his book instead of pading his lawyer's pockets? After all, I can't really go out and buy an 090G as I believe he suggested in the book (only viewed the file breifly.) I'm guessing there are other out-of-date tips in there.

I've read the whole book cover to cover and there are still more up-to-date tips in it than otherwise. There are way more tips than any single one of us has in our heads. They are more than just tips, he has actually repeatedly tried them out to ensure they work.

Maybe he could add some info on all the new bandsaws and lucas mills and it would be worth buying as a "home lumbermaking" reference book?
If its so worthless why are people still willing to pay US$100 a copy for a second hand version? Of course Mr Malloff gets none of this but it shows the value of the book. Why don't you write a book and see if 30 years later the second hand versions can be sold for $100.

Mr. Malloff appears to have a lot of ingenuity, he should put it to uses to help the world, not his lawyer!
Hang on, the IP in the book is still his and he has every right to defend it as he sees fit. I am very surprised he let it get this far. His book as it stands has helped the world way more than any other small timber miller book.

BoBL: Thanks for the major misinterpretation of my post.

I have nothing against the book or Mr. Malloff defending it. I am against the anti-distribution of (as you so impetuously pointed out) good ideas. Mr. Malloff should have more copies printed so I can afford to purchase it new at list price... This would benefit everyone.

I NEVER said it was worthless...

BoBL: Thanks for the major misinterpretation of my post.

I have nothing against the book or Mr. Malloff defending it. I am against the anti-distribution of (as you so impetuously pointed out) good ideas. Mr. Malloff should have more copies printed so I can afford to purchase it new at list price... This would benefit everyone.

I NEVER said it was worthless...

Sorry - it appears I did misinterpret your post - I'm 100% with you on things that get in the way of the distribution of good ideas. In terms of Mr Malloff reprinting the book, unfortunately he does not have the rights to the book (they are owned by someone else) and he has forked out $24k to have the book printed and has personally only got back $19k from the 250,000 copies of the book that were sold. I wonder if the lawyer who contacted Brad was the Publishers lawyer rather than Mr Mallof's?

Bobl: No worries, we're all on the same team searching for knowledge. Books like this keep us from "reinventing the wheel."

That's too bad that Mr Malloff doesn't own the rights to the book. Whoever has asked that the scanned copy be removed probably has done so for a reason. It would be silly to stop the distribution of a book that won't be published again.

Perhaps the copyright owner should offer an e-version for sale, it would save a lot over publishing costs.

Having converted to entire work into a electronic format, perhaps the lawyer would consider ePublishing it. All the hard work is done. Post it and start selling them for $20 a pop. Cut out the middle man.

Having converted to entire work into a electronic format, perhaps the lawyer would consider ePublishing it. All the hard work is done. Post it and start selling them for $20 a pop. Cut out the middle man.

The publishing rights are not owned by Mr Mallof or his lawyers but by a publishing house and I believe they are trying to buy the rights back.

[RANT]That would make too much sense. One would think that they would say, "Hey, apparently there's a demand here, let's look at how we can make some money off of this." There is nothing in my file that is not in the book, and vice-versa. I listed a few ideas in the email I sent to the lawyer in response to the takedown notice letter I got from them, and I never got a single response at all. Kinda nice to threaten me with a $20K-per-copy lawsuit and then not even have the decency to respond to my email, eh? I was pretty stressed out for quite a while because I had no idea WTF was going to come out of it, whether they were actually going to come after me for money (good luck since I'm broke as :censored: and am almost upside-down on the mortgage!) or whether my compliance would be satisfactory. I can only assume the latter since I never heard anything back from them. The other possibility is that they've been silently watching my every move...

I think the fact that I have a working knowledge of Canadian copyright law might have deterred them a bit - in Canada, if you buy a copyrighted work in one format/medium, you are legally entitled to make a copy onto any other format of choice for backup or compatibility purposes - for example it isn't illegal to make an MP3 from vinyl or a CD for personal use. So, they'd have a really hard time nailing me for scanning the book to PDF in the first place. Secondly, I never directly emailed or otherwise sent any portion of the book directly to anyone else; I simply didn't hide its location, and then it was up to others to make the decision to "pirate" it. It's a very gray area and our idiot Conservative government has been doing its very best lately to make our copyright laws just as restrictive and senseless as those in the US.

I don't take issue with copyrights being enforced on new, current content (to an extent), but when a book (or record) has been out of production for 25 years and is no longer available in the mainstream marketplace, what is the point of enforcing copyright? Nobody stands to lose any money since what is being copied is no longer being sold. If anything, I would be inclined to buy more from a publisher/producer/artist that understands the benefits of sheer distribution volume over a tightly controlled market. I practice this with my music purchases - I WILL NOT buy a CD or digital music file that is copy-protected in any way.[/RANT]

Having said all that though, while I don't agree with the legal position taken here, I do respect it. Sorry for the long-windedness, just felt like getting that off my chest.

Last edited:
No offence to Mr Malloff because I am greatfull for his work but the publishers can stickit where the sun dont shine.
I am ready to order my copy of " chainsaw milling with the Bil mill " as soon as Bob writes the book.

Back