"Chainsaw Lumbermaking" by Will Malloff PDF Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said in my first post, the publishing industry is a goat rope...the author invariably gets robbed...unless you are danielle steele or stephen king that is...

I would still E-publish the thing for him, if he could get the rights back..sent an email vis his website a long time ago with no response....

Well, guys, I skipped from page 1 to here. I thought this is where it was headed when I saw it. Not sure how some of you figure things but if I own a car, park it in the driveway and leave it for a year that doesn't mean you have a right to come drive it away. That's theft. Same as when I put my lunch in the fridge at work and somebody comes and eats it because "I didn't know whose it was". Yes, that's happened to me. The point is, it's not yours. And just because I'm not using it right now doesn't mean it doesn't belong to me. Some people can't figure out that when you own a patent or a copyright, that makes it property.

As a songwriter I have some pretty strong opinions about this kind of thing. If it's something I created it means as much to me as the gazebo you built yourself. Want me to strip the lumber off of that so other people can use it for something? I still collect royalties from songs I wrote 25 years ago. People are not just supposed to take what belongs to you. I think there may be laws in the red states that proclaim that very fact. Not sure about the other states.

Nobody seem to think intellectual property is worth anything since algore invented the internet. Guess he should have gotten a patent, huh?

Well, guys, I skipped from page 1 to here. I thought this is where it was headed when I saw it. Not sure how some of you figure things but if I own a car, park it in the driveway and leave it for a year that doesn't mean you have a right to come drive it away. That's theft. Same as when I put my lunch in the fridge at work and somebody comes and eats it because "I didn't know whose it was". Yes, that's happened to me. The point is, it's not yours. And just because I'm not using it right now doesn't mean it doesn't belong to me. Some people can't figure out that when you own a patent or a copyright, that makes it property.

As a songwriter I have some pretty strong opinions about this kind of thing. If it's something I created it means as much to me as the gazebo you built yourself. Want me to strip the lumber off of that so other people can use it for something? I still collect royalties from songs I wrote 25 years ago. People are not just supposed to take what belongs to you. I think there may be laws in the red states that proclaim that very fact. Not sure about the other states.

Nobody seem to think intellectual property is worth anything since algore invented the internet. Guess he should have gotten a patent, huh?

Well maybe you do need to go back and read the whole thread and find out who now owns the rights to his book before taking such a pontificating stance.

Last edited:
Well maybe you do need to go back and read the whole thread and find out who now owns the rights to his book before taking such a pontificating stance.

:clap::agree2:

I'm a musician/songwriter also. I see your point old cane, but it does not apply here......

Bob, the point is, it ain't you or anyone else on this thread, is it? I don't care who it is. You mention in a reply it's not the author, it's someone else, whoever that is. The author must have either sold or signed away his rights. I don't care. This property is legally owned by someone and someone with no claim to it tried to copy it and give it away. That is clearly theft as it is with any book or recording or painting. Unless the owner, usually the author but not in this case, has given permission for it to be copied and distributed. Maybe where you live you don't mind people stealing your property or maybe it's not against the law. I don't know and I don't care. It is where I live and I'm glad.

Some people have trouble understanding that a published work (ideas contained within) is property. Are there really tree huggers on this site that think all ideas put into a published form should be shared freely and no one should own them? What incentive would there be to create art if it's a sure thing that you will starve?

Why is it so hard to post who owns rights to the book? I see that the OP a letter to stop from the author's lawyer and no replies since then say to "go ahead on" with the distribution. What am I missing? Everything I said in the first reply applies here. It was out of print so must be ok to steal. The "conservative" govt are idiots. Ah, now I get where you're coming from. Everything belongs to everyone in Ca. Ok, How about everyone in the provinces send me your address and I'll come up and take everything you own that's either not being used or is over 25 years old? How would that fly? Hey, read my lips, the rights to the book belong to someone! Someone owns it! Yes, you can make a copy for personal use here too. FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL USE, NOT THE INTERNET'S PERSONAL USE. Am I the only one that wants to keep what I own safe? I guess so. I thought most of us here would be like minded but I don't hang out with law breakers.

See ya guys. Enjoy paying the price of breaking the law.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, I skipped from the first page or so to here also. Not being totally up on the facts, just what I see on the surface, I gotta run with old cane. I would really like to read this book, I might break down and by a copy for 90 bucks. After I read it I'll be happy to pass it around, Joe.

Geez talk about dredging up an old fight... OK, have it your way. Bob was much more succinct and kind than I'm capable of being.

You're free to have whatever views you want on copyright - if you were writing songs 25 years ago then I guess you're part of the old guard that just doesn't understand (or want to admit) how things have changed and that the old copyright system is almost completely useless in today's world. Case in point - here we have a book that has been pretty much unavailable for the last 30 years, with no plans of re-printing, and the author is making NOTHING off of it, and according to him never even did in the first place. The point is that WHERE IS THE HARM IN COPYING? Nobody's losing a damn dime since none of us would be buying it anyway due to unavailability - and even those used copies that are floating around are being sold second-hand with no royalties etc. being passed on to either the publisher or the author. But no, for some antiquated reasoning that only old folks like you seem to understand, nobody else on earth should be allowed access to the information in this book because some idiot publishing house has "rights" to it, whatever that means.

However it's clear you haven't spent any time looking at data on distribution models and copyright reform. All that extremely tight copyright restrictions do is jack up the profits for publishers, record labels, and distribution channels. It's a well-known fact that recording artists make practically nothing off of album sales due to the heavy hands of the record labels, managers, etc. but instead make the bulk of their money through touring and merchandising. If this IS the case, would it not make more sense to let the music be either freely or very cheaply available, to promote an audience to come and see the shows and buy the schwag? There is a reason that many bands that CAN get out from under their labels' thumb, like Radiohead, and many independent artists have turned to such a strategy. It's got the record labels pissed right off because this truly IS eroding their profits, unlike music downloading in general. Me downloading an album isn't taking money away from anyone because it's not something i was going to buy anyway at $20 per CD. Make them cheaper, then I'll buy. There's no way something that costs 20¢ to stamp out should cost me $20 in store with maybe $1-2 at most going to the artist and everything else being lost in between. It's no wonder such a top-heavy business model is crumbling and I'm glad to see it happen - my generation is finally calling bulls:censored:t on the older generations' greed and business tyranny. Maybe artists can finally start making the money they should instead of handing 90% over to all the in-between bureaucracy. The only artists I've seen come out in very strong support of restrictive copyright are the ones who are slipping into obscurity and are scratching and clawing to protect years-old royalties rather than getting their asses in gear and producing stuff that people want to buy.

Bob, the point is, it ain't you or anyone else on this thread, is it? I don't care who it is. You mention in a reply it's not the author, it's someone else, whoever that is. The author must have either sold or signed away his rights. I don't care. This property is legally owned by someone and someone with no claim to it tried to copy it and give it away. That is clearly theft as it is with any book or recording or painting. Unless the owner, usually the author but not in this case, has given permission for it to be copied and distributed. Maybe where you live you don't mind people stealing your property or maybe it's not against the law. I don't know and I don't care. It is where I live and I'm glad.

Some people have trouble understanding that a published work (ideas contained within) is property. Are there really tree huggers on this site that think all ideas put into a published form should be shared freely and no one should own them? What incentive would there be to create art if it's a sure thing that you will starve?

Well first of all for not knowing and not caring all that much, you sure felt the need to come to a new forum, dredge up a near-year-old thread and troll everyone and bi7ch them out for a situation that's long been resolved and put to rest. I SAID FROM THE OUTSET that if I ever received any correspondence or request from either the author or the publisher I would gladly cease-and-desist and remove all copies. AT THE TIME I DID IT, I was under the understanding that Canadian copyright law only extended out for 25 years if the work had not been reprinted. THIS WAS MISTAKEN since it's actually something like 50 years. Which brings me to a counterpoint to your second paragraph - No, I don't think everything should be freely available. But I strongly support copyright reform to drop IP rights, patent rights, and copyrights down to maybe 10 years at the MOST. This WOULD foster further creativity, since artists/authors/inventors would no longer be free to develop one album/book/invention, charge an ungodly amount for it, and sit on their laurels for the next 70 years on the royalties. They would have to keep working and developing new things to keep the money flowing. Copyright law that is extremely strict and extends out almost indefinitely with very severe penalties only serves to stifle creativity and culture in general. Studies have been done and this is where the data points, but of course it's anathema to big business' power structure, and guess who it is that buys off the lawmakers? It ain't the artists.

I would really like to read this book, I might break down and by a copy for 90 bucks.
Believe me, it's not worth $90. It's 30 year old technology. Malloff does offer a couple of of worthwhile mods for the Granberg mill, otherwise, anything Malloff does in that book, the people on this forum can do better.

Sorry guys, I skipped from the first page or so to here also. Not being totally up on the facts, just what I see on the surface, I gotta run with old cane. I would really like to read this book, I might break down and by a copy for 90 bucks. After I read it I'll be happy to pass it around, Joe.

Try your local library.

Brad, don't sweat the petty stuff. With any luck that will be the last we'll hear of him and his glass house he must live in.

Heh, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I just can't imagine the audacity of first-off outright admitting that you haven't bothered to inform yourself on an issue, and then proceeding to, as Bob put it, pontificate on said issue and tell everyone else they're wrong, or even worse, criminals!

It reminds me of a couple weeks ago, when a friend's kid came up to my cousin who was working on something or other at church and said, "Tell me what you're doing, so I can tell you if you're doing it right or not." Excuse me? And the irony is that I've heard the parents say that said child complains about not having many friends at school. Wonder why.

Believe me, it's not worth $90. It's 30 year old technology. Malloff does offer a couple of of worthwhile mods for the Granberg mill, otherwise, anything Malloff does in that book, the people on this forum can do better.

I've had the book for years since it came out. Its still got some value but there is little to nothing in it that is not here on this forum. And there is more here than is in that book. But books are nice to have and its worthwhile. If the price is too high the library can help you out.

Now, on the part about the legality of copyright -- y'all might as well get over it. Someone OWNS the right to that work whether you like it or not. When you make a copy of it to sell or give to others YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. It truly is that simple. Get over it.

Maybe where you live you don't mind people stealing your property or maybe it's not against the law. I don't know and I don't care. It is where I live and I'm glad.

Still pontificating I see.
Can you point out to me where I wrote I was against the principle of copyright?
I have had IP stolen off me and am generally sympathetic to the principle of copyright.

Copyright maybe law but I personally don't give a fig about any laws, especially those made by lawyers, I care about justice. Most copyright law is a lawyers wet dream that gives scant regard to the IP owner and is designed to fill their lawyers bank accounts and those of big business.

If you actually read the thread again you will see that Mr Malloff was completely screwed during the publishing of this book. He made nothing out of the deal, in fact he lost thousands and my sympathies lay with him and not the high and mighty US copyright laws.

Anyway I have read the book from cover to cover and got several good ideas from it, but like mntgun says, it's race has run, the stuff on this site now supersedes it by an order of magnitude.

Still pontificating I see.
Can you point out to me where I wrote I was against the principle of copyright?
I have had IP stolen off me and am generally sympathetic to the principle of copyright.

Copyright maybe law but I personally don't give a fig about any laws, especially those made by lawyers, I care about justice. Most copyright law is a lawyers wet dream that gives scant regard to the IP owner and is designed to fill their lawyers bank accounts and those of big business.

Well I don't think I could sum up the way I feel about things much better than that. There are a lot of laws - especially ridiculous copyright laws, but also things like speed limits - that I don't have much respect for in general and wouldn't think twice about breaking except for the penalties associated with doing so. Just because a bunch of lobbyists can buy a bunch of politicians and lawyers to get the books cooked to suit their will does not mean that such laws are just or fair to the general populace, and it definitely doesn't mean that I'm obligated to respect the fundamentals of such laws, just that I'm supposed to obey them. Copyright has its place for situations like what happens in Southeast Asia, where you have massive open markets filled with pirated copies of software and movies for sale right alongside the real thing, often looking just like the real thing. This DOES impact the original copyright owner. People downloading a program or movie here and there do not have a significant impact, though they'd like you to think so.

Copyright doesn't always reward skilled artistry it rewards a lucky few - it's more of a lottery than reward for artistic justice, but that's the popular music business full stop.

I know a guy who couldn't write a full song to save himself, but he put together a jingle 20 years ago (he says it took him 5 minutes) that became widely used for several commercials and he still makes money out of it. Contrast that with the thousands of talented musicians who make nothing instead fork out millions to keep greedy recording companies in the style to which they have become accustomed. I see no justice here.

There has to be a better way to get IP justice but while the lawyers are in charge it won't change.

I was enjoying this until the America bashing. Now I lost all interest in it. I'll just unsubscribe to the thread now. Too bad, it was interesting.

Chainsaw Lumbermaking PDF

If you want a copy, look around on the web, try the book download sites. One that has it today is gigle.ws. But these are offshore outlaw sites, and they come and go.
If your conscience bothers you, go to Will's site on LinkedIn, ask him for an address where you can send him a $20 bill, to help make up for the thousands of dollars he lost on publishing this book, to which he no longer owns the rights.
If you want to read more about Will and Beth Erickson, get a copy of "Inside Passage: Living With Killer Whales, Bald Eagles, and Kwakiutl Indians" by Michael Modzelewski -- the title should be the Will Malloff story, it's a good read.

and I love to read these older threads that are brought back to life....

I gotta say to "Old Cane" that if find it very interesting that it's not about the music! Or about the ideas...

it's about MONEY

and that is sad.... lots of artists busk their balls every day for coin.. and love it! Cause to them the important thing is the message and the music...

then I hear a fellow like Old Cane pulling a BONO!

when the artists become business persons, I quit listening!

Latest posts

Back