Chainsaw mill power heads one or two?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdennisusa1

Reaction score
I'm looking at adding milling large slabs to my part-time milling/woodworking business. Most of the slabs I would mill would be between 28" and 48" but I want to have the ability to do the rare 50" plus slab. Since I need to buy the equipment does anyone have an opinion on whether I should buy 1 Stihl 880 at about $1,800) with a 60" bar or two Stihl 660's at about $1,200 each) and use them on the Granberg 56 inch mill than could run two power heads? Or maybe someone has a better idea. Any input is appreciated.

If you choose to run a double then you are confined to having a second able hand. Running solo you don't need to rely on anyone else but you.

You use the pronoun "I", not the pronoun "we".

From a serious study of the use of two powerheads with a truly portable CSM they require two people. Maybe with a 4 post CSM like the panther pro one could get by with one person.

I was going that route until I ran across my 088 CL special.
attachment.php

Many people operate a CSM with an 880 class saw by themselves.

If you can line up another pair of hands or a panther pro type CSM I sthil think two powerheads is the way to go. But they need to be a matched pair.

Look for some of my threads about two years back, one had a summary of most of the two powerhead post threads.

Thanks for the reply's. It wouldn't be a problem getting a second pair of hands when needed and I already have a bandsaw mill that can mill logs up to 29 inches. I'm really just looking for the most efficient way to make slabs of the bigger logs I occasionally come across.

are you only considering stihl? any saw at or around or over 100cc will cut the sizes you need.some will be faster like say the 880 stihl or the 3120 husky. but there are others out there too. someone on here is running a 166 dolmar,also.

Latest posts

Back