Chainsaw pet peeves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What is it about operating, maintaining, or repairing chainsaws that get under your skin?

A few of mine:

Working on saws like the Homelite xl2, you have to tear the saw halfway apart to get any work done on it.
Watching some clueless person trying to cut with a totally dull chain.
Watching some clueless person trying to cut with a dangerously loose chain.
Cutting pines in the spring and then spending an hour at the end of the day getting the pine tar off.
Working on a saw that's NEVER been cleaned.
Hitting a hidden something with your chain that you just sharpened.

Just a few, I'm sure you can add to it.

As one that works on them, my main pet peeve is seeing someone putting a new chain on a saw with a totally shot sprocket, and runs it until the chain is ruined, which isn't long.

Or they pull the barstuds through the crankcase wall, because they are fighting a saw that the chain is always loose
due to a worn out sprocket....

Having some pipsqueak cashier ask me what I buy all the odd items for. Because when I tell them I work on chainsaws they always reply: "oh my gosh.... isn't that scary?"
Thats when I ask them if they really want to know what I'm afraid of. I look both ways as I lean in close to imply top secret information is about to be shared and I whisper: "millennials".

Having some pipsqueak cashier ask me what I buy all the odd items for. Because when I tell them I work on chainsaws they always reply: "oh my gosh.... isn't that scary?"
Thats when I ask them if they really want to know what I'm afraid of. I look both ways as I'm leaning in tight as to imply a secret is about to unfold, and I whisper: "millennials".

Amen brother!!!

Watching someone cut all the through the log, burying the chain in the dirt.

Finding dust past the filter. My MS170 did this with the factory filter.

Having ppl straight-gas 2stroke equipment. A friend did this to my old snapper trimmer, at least the dimwit replaced it.

Watching someone cut all the through the log, burying the chain in the dirt.

Finding dust past the filter. My MS170 did this with the factory filter.

Having ppl straight-gas 2stroke equipment. A friend did this to my old snapper trimmer, at least the dimwit replaced it.
Hopefully he didn't replace it with another Snapper trimmer!!!

A saw that gets put away dirty after every use and smokes because of the dust caked on the engine. Have ms 200t like this that is going to get a bath tomorrow. Smoked like it was on fire today....well it more or less was.

Damn, I feel shame...I'm a total noob when it comes to maintaining my saws. I feel like it's too much opportunity cost at this point in my life, even though I know I'll be kicking myself down the road. Any tips on good sources of information for cleaning/routine maintenance? Not looking to get fanatical like some people, just a little further down the continuum from the "neglect" end where I currently reside.

What is it about operating, maintaining, or repairing chainsaws that get under your skin?

Watching some clueless person trying to cut with a totally dull chain.
Just a few, I'm sure you can add to it.

The new people across the street had some people come in and clean out a bunch of small stuff up to maybe 6" dia. I swear it took their saw 30 to 40 seconds to grind through a 6" tree trunk. Of course, when your "tree guys" show up in a cargo van that's a clue right there.

Hopefully he didn't replace it with another Snapper trimmer!!!
Ha nope! At least it was a commercial model, 225sst I think. Wasn't the worst trimmer I've owned... He didn't actually replace it but gave me enough to get a stihl FS40. Good friend, nitwit mechanic tho.

A saw that gets put away dirty after every use and smokes because of the dust caked on the engine. Have ms 200t like this that is going to get a bath tomorrow. Smoked like it was on fire today....well it more or less was.
Those old saws are great for holding debris and smokin with the big exhaust system they have. The smoke is a tracking device when it gets set down in the weeds

The new people across the street had some people come in and clean out a bunch of small stuff up to maybe 6" dia. I swear it took their saw 30 to 40 seconds to grind through a 6" tree trunk. Of course, when your "tree guys" show up in a cargo van that's a clue right there.
I show up in a purple Buick what what with my climbing gear, saws, and rigging gear the mess is smaller when it's in bags in my trunk lol

Damn, I feel shame...I'm a total noob when it comes to maintaining my saws. I feel like it's too much opportunity cost at this point in my life, even though I know I'll be kicking myself down the road. Any tips on good sources of information for cleaning/routine maintenance? Not looking to get fanatical like some people, just a little further down the continuum from the "neglect" end where I currently reside.
The car wash is a start then run ur saw till the b/c are oily

Back