Chainsaw pet peeves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of old saws pretty much have to be drop started. No throttle locks, heck I've got an old Mac with a "snuffer" choke that you have to hold closed with your thumb while holding the throttle trigger while pulling the center mounted, rear facing pull start. Lol it looks like a circus act.
799f831ceecc131775d330ba9fe0ecf7.jpg

This is when I first got it, the pull cord was broken but you can see where it goes dead center in the top and the choke button to the left of the trigger.

I should have been more specific. When you have a reason and you know your machinery and you take due care it can be a thing of style and class but when it's done by someone on a modern saw just for the purpose of looking cool and you see the bar and chain going out of control it's just scary and unnecessary. They have foot plates and throttle locks and your hand is next to the chain break. But I would like to see you start the old Mac that sounds pretty cool

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Pics please !! [emoji14]
Could help LOL when I read that hahahaha
I wish I would've taken some, but I was too worked up to even think about taking pictures.

It was a massive, knotty mulberry tree that fell into a mature cornfield. If we would have had more room to work, there wouldn't have been any problems; but the farmer didn't want any more of his corn destroyed, and he wanted the tree out of the field before he picked the corn.
Finally had to resort to a bowsaw to free up the mess.

Yes to the drop starts.why oh why do people do that with big saws, it's like a macho thing I guess, although I have seen plenty of really experienced guys do it safely I will never consider doing it myself

I never realized there was any other way to start a chainsaw...my day, all of his friends, and everyone I ever went cutting with all started their chainsaws that way. I guess if you're noodle-wristed there's a risk of it getting away from you?

I never realized there was any other way to start a chainsaw...my day, all of his friends, and everyone I ever went cutting with all started their chainsaws that way. I guess if you're noodle-wristed there's a risk of it getting away from you?
My grandfather who taught me the early basics of chainsaws would have lost his boot up my ...... If he had seen me try it. It was just ingrained in me not to do it.And you can see from the video here just how nasty it looks when you don't have the skill required. And I really don't like being any where near some one using a chainsaw who doesn't know what they are doing .

My grandfather who taught me the early basics of chainsaws would have lost his boot up my ...... If he had seen me try it. It was just ingrained in me not to do it.And you can see from the video here just how nasty it looks when you don't have the skill required. And I really don't like being any where near some one using a chainsaw who doesn't know what they are doing .

Saws are probably a bit different today, though

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Oh your husband can't get his saw running? My husband can fix it....

I'm sorry I crushed your 262xp
Ill replace it. Shows up with a wild thing.

I thought the oil in the gas lubed the chain.

Can I come cut with you and we'll split up the wood up at the end of the day?
Shows up with 42cc and a 16 inch bar when the wood is 30 plus.

Saws returned out of oil with the dry chain off the bar. (Only happens once)

Oh your husband can't get his saw running? My husband can fix it....

I'm sorry I crushed your 262xp
Ill replace it. Shows up with a wild thing.

I thought the oil in the gas lubed the chain.

Can I come cut with you and we'll split up the wood up at the end of the day?
Shows up with 42cc and a 16 inch bar when the wood is 30 plus.

Saws returned out of oil with the dry chain off the bar. (Only happens once)

You either need new friends or move to an uninhabited island. I thought some of my friends sucked, I have to go apologize.

Friends who buy an inexpensive saw then have it die because the fuel line got pulled to the cap when they fueled it then proceed to say this saw is junk I should have bought a husqvarna or stihl, gives me the saw. They buy a husqvarna 445 and tells me how much better it is, we go out cutting, I take the ryobi saw thats "junk" and walk all over him and his husqy.

Getting my bar pinched in the middle of no where.

Oil cap not being seated properly so when I pick it up it dumps out.

Strangers tryin to put their grubby lil dickpinchers on my saws.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Yeah I've done that. Left the b/c in the wood took the power head off and got it later

Back