Chainsaw plastic crankcase question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floriceeel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if in a plastic crankcase the crankshaft spins in a plastic capsule or it has some kind of sealed metal protection inside(...the plastic cover).I am a beginner and I don't like the ideea that I own a plastic crankcase saw.A year ago when I bought my husqvarna 435 I had no idea about chainsaws...

the crank bearings sit in a metal cradle, which is then bolted to the plastic case. the cylinder is split in half at the the bearings in a horizontal plane. it makes replacing bearings much simpler, but there is no way to lower the cylinder if you want to increase compression. (yeah, i know it can be done with enough equipment and expertise)

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

My fire station uses an array of MS310's (which are plastic crankcase saws). They are used and abused by guys who don't understand that saws are actually living, breathing creatures who need love and care.

These saws, despite the flogging keep performing and cutting things that Andreas Stihl would roll over in his grave if he knew about.

Keep the filter clean, the fuel mixed right, chain sharp and tight and oil on the bar and the saw will do just fine, regardless of the crankcase material (so long as there's common sense in there, too).

Good luck and happy cutting!

i've said it before, i'll say it again:

My fire station uses an array of ms310's (which are plastic crankcase saws). They are used and abused by guys who don't understand that saws are actually living, breathing creatures who need love and care.

These saws, despite the flogging keep performing and cutting things that andreas stihl would roll over in his grave if he knew about.

Keep the filter clean, the fuel mixed right, chain sharp and tight and oil on the bar and the saw will do just fine, regardless of the crankcase material (so long as there's common sense in there, too).

Good luck and happy cutting!
thanks a lot guys

In my opinion it is not even a "crankcase". It is just a plastic cover like any other cover. Just the way I see it.....
I agree...I refer to them as gas and oil tank assemblies.

I also don't think them being plastic is detrimental to their durability or longevity. They are more susceptible to damage by keeping the chainbrake engaged than anything else. If you make sure you don't do this you'll be fine.

Is the lower cap metal?

I have a Poulan Pro 260 & a 435, looked @ IPL's, the lower part looks like part of crankcase. I had the cylinder off 260 last year, thought the cap looked metal.

We are talking about 2 different types of "plastic crankcase" here. The fact is, we generally reserve the terminology "metal crankcase" for the models that have a vertically split crank case that also forms the body of the saw. You know, automotive style, with a block (crank case) and the head(s) mounted on that.

So, just to be clear, there are many saws (like the MS250, MS290, etc) that have the crankshaft wholly enclosed in a metal "shell." I suppose they "technically" have a metal crankcase, but since those shells (which are minimal in size and do not have extensive heat sink properties) ride in plastic housings, we also refer to them as having a plastic crankcase. The other type of plastic crankcase saws we have are truly saws that have, at least for half of the crankcase, plastic. A good example of those are the Husky 350 (and it's little brothers) and the many Partner saws from which that beast sprouted.

The 350 seems like a real good saw so, apparently, the whole thing works terrific if well designed.

I was wondering if in a plastic crankcase the crankshaft spins in a plastic capsule or it has some kind of sealed metal protection inside(...the plastic cover).I am a beginner and I don't like the ideea that I own a plastic crankcase saw.A year ago when I bought my husqvarna 435 I had no idea about chainsaws...

I really wouldn't let it bother you too much. My 029 is old, I've had it ten years and bought it used to start with and no problems. My buddy has a Husky 345 that has cut a crap load of wood and no problems. If taken care of it shouldn't let you down.

plastic

When I bought my MS-290 stihl 5 years ago, with the plastic case I was a little concerned but not any more. The saw has run with no problems.I think it will out last me.

if you only knew the hell ive seen the 270 280 290 310 series stihls put through
by people that just dont care and they keep on trucking they are so popular in my area thats what you mostly see being run i like huskys to but theres no good local dealers the stihls are used by all the tree companys and rental places that i know of
and the only thing that brings them down is bad fuel mix or straight gassed
another thing to consider is that i have a lot of friends over the years whose high dollar saws have been stolen and the insurance companys didnt come through for whatever reason go to these saws for less than half of the price of the saws they lost.
so im not saying they are the best but for their price perfomance quality and parts availibility they are hard to beat

Latest posts

Back