Chainsaw Tuning 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.
I'll be sure and keep it off lean at wot. What is the rev limit rpm? Stihl EDT 8 should be here in a few days

Cool thanks brad! I'm also going to order a dual port muffler for it tomorrow and open up the port under the deflector. Is that opening it up to much and I should only do one or the other?

Not worried about extended warranty with this saw. Stihl doesn't offer it anymore!!!!

I thought I'd try and compile all the threads and vids I've done showing how to tune a chainsaw.

Tuning a 3120 with an adjustable carb.

Demonstrating a MS440 tuned a little too rich, then leaning it out.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/video-how-to-tune-a-chainsaw.113538/

Checking the H tune on a 350, 4-stroking at WOT.

Checking the tune in the wood on the same 350.

Checking the tune in the wood with a 346XP.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/checking-your-tune-in-the-wood.154314/

+1, thanks for all of those videos. Now to go after a couple of mine that I am frustrated with.

Brian

Would it be possible for me to email someone a short video of my old Homelight SXL? I just retuned the carb and I am new at this and want to make sure it's not running too lean or too rich.

Would it be possible for me to email someone a short video of my old Homelight SXL? I just retuned the carb and I am new at this and want to make sure it's not running too lean or too rich.
post it right here I think

Brian

Here it is, I had it running a little leaner right before this video, but I fattened it up just a tad because I felt like it was too much on the edge. It still may be too lean, it's hard for me to tell.

Hopefully the video will play.

Attachments

• trim.8D56B158-08E1-4098-B477-D73D8B77C69D.MOV
    7.6 MB · Views: 102
Unless it leans out a lot as it gets hot, you're not too lean. For best results, you now need to fine tun it in the cut.

Awesome, good to hear! Next time I get it in some wood I will try and fine tune it a bit. In your opinion how close to the edge do think it is, I know you said you would need to hear how lean it gets under load, but I just trying to get an idea of how much wiggle room i have.

Back