Chainsaw Tuning with Tachometer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keonep

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on this site. I've used it as a great resource in the past and I want to make sure I'm tuning my chainsaw correctly. I have put a new top end on a Husky 372xp and I want to run it in a little below max, I was thinking around 12,800 rpm. The max is 13,500. I'm ok at tuning by ear but this time I want to do it exactly correct. I go from 1000 ft to 7500 ft of elevation so I always have to tune. My issue is that I have a Tiny Tach tt226nr-2c with only 4 digits. Does this model read rpms above 10K? I've heard at 12,000 rpm it will just say 2,000. There isn't really much on product specs and the single sheet instruction page that came with it doesn't say squat. I initially had it as an hour meter on something else.

Any help on whether or not this tach works for a chainsaw would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I would just play with it a bit, see if you can go rich enough to get it to read below 9999, probly have to remove/trim limiter caps on carb if still present. Then lean out and see what happens. I use the fast tach and it reads up to 20k, works nicely.

Is this an XT or an OE. Regardless, if you tune it to 12.8 you'll be making it a turd. I run stock OE's at 13.8. Ported I go closer to 15. If I tune the ported ones by ear they end up at 16 which is to fast for the big end IMO.

Thank you for the tips on RPMs. I just happened to run across a couple articles that said to run at 6-700 below max rpm for the run in period.

I finally just called the manufacturer and apparently mine only goes to around 6K rpm. So looks like I'm in the market for a new tach

I got a cheap tach off amazon that works well. I think it is hardline? I have a video of it in use on my YouTube channel.

If you might want a real good reliable tach for 2 cycles/chainsaws, etc.
Cost little more but works great and you can get inside and replace the battery.

Tach Has very fast refresh rate and is very user friendly and from a name brand company.
here is a link and I was steered to this tach by recommendation and when I researched it had good reviews also.
Some of the tachs are disposable, you cannot even replace the battery. The 15216xxxx number is the ebay list number if the link don't run.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G310000050-...488420?hash=item236d880e24:g:jD4AAOSwddNXgU7I

I also found that the use of a infrared thermometer is real good to make sure a saw is not overheating.
You can research such in the forums.

Latest posts

Back