Changing company after 6 years.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truestory

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I've been working for a small company, 1 crew of 3-4 men, for 6 seasons. Great employer, we get along well. However, I have been pondering to switch companies for about 2 years but simply have not from lack of good buisneses in my area. Well I was recently offered a climbing position from one such good company in my area. So I accepted the job. I am currently in my off season so not technically employed by my previous employer. So it's not like I am being poached and jumping ship in the middle of a busy time. Anyway, my question is : I was thinking about offering to buy a bit of climbing gear off my previous employer, used of course, like spurs, hand saw, etc. How much do you think I should I offer/accept to pay if he wants to sell. The gear I have been using for as long as I've been there! Thanks.

If you told them you are leaving first, and they don't mind selling stuff to the competition, then no worries. I'd make sure to be precise in what you buy for what price. Get a reciept in writing even. While you are comfortable with what gear you've been using. your former employer hasn't had to give it much thought.
I went through this five years ago. Thought everything was cool. Later found out thirdhand that it wasn't.

You're in the off season so you weren't poached but your previous employer probably thinks you're coming back. Once the season starts again and he has no climber, not good.

Buy new and own it. That way it's yours and you have that much more coming with you as you move potentially to your next employer.

Leave the old behind.

I am with Zale,
When we hire climbers we supply everything, and more.
If they really want to use their own personal gear, I get it,
But it needs to be checked out and inspected.
Why have you been pondering for a couple years and how much per hour more are you gonna make? A dollar or two?
Jeff

Back