Chapping the Bar/Chain for Safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForestryFungi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All,

Hoping to get some pointers on this. I got a demo on using my chaps to wrap the bar/chain so I could carry it safely through the woods, but I can't find a YouTube video on it (so now I want to make one). However, the fact there isn't one makes me think it might not be there for a reason. Is this a frowned upon practice? Seemed pretty legit to me when I saw it, and I'd like to get it down so I can demo it to my buddy this weekend.

Anyone out there have a link or some photos they can post?

Best,
Ben

I hear that, but a) I don't have a bar guard, and I do have chaps and b) I wear my chaps when I'm running my saw, and if I'm walking/traveling far enough to merit covering the bar, I'm going to want my chaps off ;)
Bar guards are $5. I would get one over risking tearing my chaps up on a chain. Thats just me. I replaced my chaps with the Labonville chainsaw pants, and they are a lot more comfortable. They are less coverage, but I actually wear them when I run a saw.

Bar guards are $5. I would get one over risking tearing my chaps up on a chain. Thats just me. I replaced my chaps with the Labonville chainsaw pants, and they are a lot more comfortable. They are less coverage, but I actually wear them when I run a saw.
Copy that, thanks for the tip on the brand to check out :)

They are a bit more expensive then chaps. I got mine from Baileys. order a size or two up as they run small when you put the pads in them (sold separately).

Unfortunately bar guards dont last that long, but they are cheap. You can get fancier ones online from a few places, but I never bothered with them.

Standard practice on the fire line (forest fires)...at least last time I was out which was years ago. I don't like the idea of shortening the life of chaps...but it does protect your neck, so if you don't have other options, I would certainly do that.

I have plastic bar guards on mine, but don't carry them for a long hike through the woods. If you are doing that, you'll want to do something to keep the saw from sliding out of the plastic guard. Drill a hole in the (open) end of the guard and run a cord through with a biner or clip that hooks it to your saw.

Fire hose would be another option. Wouldn't be that hard to stitch a couple together so there is a double layer over each edge of the bar.

If you are hiking with the saw on a regular basis, True North Bar Covers are probably worth it. Saves your chaps.

Well, shoot, if you're going to go down that route, LETS GO BIG!!

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p...p?mi=86911&itemnum=35991&title=Chain Saw Pack

8691_35991_p1.jpg

Yes...there have been accidents.

How many miles have you hiked in? The most practical way to carry a saw long distances is with the bar over shoulder and the engine behind you. If it is as sharp as it should be a slight slip on uneven ground could cut pretty deep into your shoulder or neck. You need the bar protected.

Back