Cheap Chinese Clone vs. MMWS MS362C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
Brush Ape inspired me to do this thread, as he's shown such avid interest in my Chinese clone over the last couple of years. Since there's been such a flurry of old thread revivals this morning I couldn't resist.

So here are two 60cc saws, one a Stihl MS362C-M professionally ported, with mods detailed here: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mastermind-meets-the-ms362c-m.257666/

The other is a cheap Chinese clone of a RedMax G621, "ported" by a firewood hack with a Dremel. It's had the base gasket deleted but still has 0.035" squish. The intake port got widened a lowered a bit, the muffler was opened a little and the timing advanced a few degrees. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/porting-a-chinese-g621-clone.253359/

Here's the MS362:

Here's the clone:

The MS362 is about a second faster, timing the 3rd cut, vs the clone in the 2nd cut (I didn't use the first as the chain cut thorough the face). Of course it's different wood and different chain - the clone is cutting dead hard ash with a TriLink Chinese chain on an old McCulloch bar. I couldn't ID the wood the MS362 is cutting. Now lets look at rpm:

Here's the MS362 on the 3rd cut. I sampled a 5s section as shown by the selected area. That's at 149Hz, which (multiply by 60) is just under 9000rpm.
MMWS-MS362C-M-c.png

Here's the clone, also sampling a 5s interval. It's at 165Hz, or 9900rpm (almost 1k higher).
G621 Chinese Clone-c.png
So it looks like the MMWS MS362 is a little faster, if you assume the wood it the same. Still, not bad for a $200 piece of crap and a few minutes with a Dremel.

Cool info. I make no bones about how I feel about chicom anything. The numbers don't lie tho. That being said I'd like to see one of the knock offs run side by side with "name your brand" of saw after say 50 hours. Re check and see where it is. Maybe these saws would hold up after 30 years of firewood duty like my dads s25 or my uncles xl12. Time will tell.
I do enjoy the threads on them

Cool info. I make no bones about how I feel about chicom anything. The numbers don't lie tho. That being said I'd like to see one of the knock offs run side by side with "name your brand" of saw after say 50 hours. Re check and see where it is. Maybe these saws would hold up after 30 years of firewood duty like my dads s25 or my uncles xl12. Time will tell.
I do enjoy the threads on them
I seriously doubt the Chinese saw would last 50 hours, for that reason you really can't compare the two based on a video.

couldnt watch the 362 video but the other saw sounds like crap

I've done comparisons against the 362.. The 362 didn't fair well at all, but it was different chains. Once I compared the 362 with the same chain and same wood, the 362 came out ahead..

I'd be interested to see the same chain and same wood.

Latest posts

Back