Cheap digital Angle finder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Someone on another forum pointed me to these RC helicopter blade pitch indicators and I realised they could be used as Digital Angle finders (DAFs)

At only ~US$7 (including postage) everyone can afford to have at least one in their CS sharpening kit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-LCD-...=eee4cf9a13e64fa497f6c9464f505c0a&pid=100102&

The packet contains the DAF mounted in a bracket and sheet of Chinese only instructions but the controls are simple to use.

IMG_6704.jpg

The DAF itself is held by magnets onto the Pitch blade bracket and is easily removed.
It takes two 2032 batteries.

IMG_6705.jpg

A disadvantage is the box is plastic and not square. If I were using one for Raker angle measurements I would glue a strip of brass or Al square onto the box so that the plastic will not wear as it needs to rest on sharp cutters to perform a raker angle measurement.

In terms of accuracy I compared it to my Beale digital Tiltbox and the cheaper unit seems to read about 0.2º too low at around 45º and 0.3 -o,4 too loa at around 90º. For less than 10º rakers angles this difference is negligible.

On the plus side this thing can perform absolute measurements which none of my other DAFs can. There is no indication as to how to get the thing to measure in absolute terms and the instructions are not that useful to non chinese readers but I figured how to get it to do that and that is to switch it on and hold the switch down until the ABS indicator lights up.

Bob,

I just bought one off of amazon that looks a lot like yours. When you're using these for rakers, do you use a straight edge on the teeth to level it up in your vise?

Bob I found your post about the DAF but didn't see the link for a video. What page is it 6?

The bar itself is the ZERO.

NB I don't do this every time I set the rakers - just once every now and then. In between I swipe the rakers 2-3 times every 3-4 cutter touch ups.

The bar itself is the ZERO.

NB I don't do this every time I set the rakers - just once every now and then. In between I swipe the rakers 2-3 times every 3-4 cutter touch ups.

Take heed newbies.
That block of wood that is also in the vice with the bar is significantly handy in holding the DAF upright during the measurement.
Don't ask how I learned that one.

Old Blue
On my second DAF right here in ...........
Kali-bone-ya

I love that Kanye west is playing in the background lol. Figured this site wouldn't be rocking rap too much lol.

Has anyone thought of mounting two of these together to eliminate the need for the block of wood/support?

Not quite sure what you mean?
The backing block in the vice in your pick helps keep the digital angle finder on a consistent plane parallel to the bar, so that it can't tilt forward or back and give a false reading of the raker angle. By using two DAF's, one 90 degrees to the other, the backing block wouldn't be needed. Or perhaps a single DAF but in a frame that slips over the bar to maintain that perfect alignment with the bar but allows the DAF to tilt in the correct, and only the correct plane.
I might think on this some more and post some pictures or photos to better explain myself.

Back