Cheap Homemade woodsplitter plans/ideas/ pics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walleye34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was recently given a old 3 pt hitch wood splitter or well... What is left of one, the control valve and cylinder is all that is left, does any one have any pictures of their homemade woodsplitter they made on the cheep?

Sent from my A573VC using Tapatalk

I built this from scrapyard salvage

5hp electric motor 3400rpm, 4.5x28 ram (I think off a CAT?), 13 gpm pump, airport luggage mule tires,hubs, spindles. Solid rubber tires, won't be getting a flat.
Reservoir is a piece of tube steel. I wanted it narrow enough to roll through a 3 foot doorway,,,, and tall don't want to be bent over a midget splitter.

There is a 30" space between the wedge and moving plate even though the ram travel is only 28". I like this because the split wood hangs there without falling off and I can pull it back and resplit it, or just toss the next piece in behind it and keep-a-going.

Used the detent type valve. Detent lock in forward or reverse and the automatically drops back to neutral and either end of the stroke so I don't have to keep my hand on the lever.

I love electric!
Quieter, no gas, no starting issues, no fumes and no one asks to borrow it!
2.5 gas hp is about equal to 1 hp electric. So that is about the same as a 12.5 gas motor.
I split about 6 cords a year, it works great.

DSCN0535.jpg

What is the bore and stroke of your parts and pieces?

Back