Cheap saws that became money pits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 3 Stihl 290s which I thought I could get two runners out of them. Got the two running and looking good with not much money in them, then I got to looking at the third one thinking what do I do with the parts and decided to buy enough parts to rebuild it into a 390....mistake I think! I ended up with about $215 in the third one which is about $100 more than the other 2 and not nearly as good looking. Decided to just keep the third one and use it.039-1.JPG It now is an 039 with modified muffler but says 290 on starter cover, new bar and chain...
I have a 306A Poulan that I'm tempted to get going, only needs a few parts but figured it would cost more than it's worth.

Bought what I thought was a seized 044 for £300 , thinking I'd probably get away with a new piston and a barrel clean up . Turned out to be the crank big end bearing !! I didn't fancy a cheap crank and couldn't find a good used one so £200 for a genuine new one , new bearings gaskets seals and caber rings then I discover the oil pump is gone too . £350 odd later and a nice new Sugihara pro light bar I have a beauty of a saw .

Luckily I could do the repairs myself , but I'm gonna have to keep it and work it to get my monies worth .

Bought what I thought was a seized 044 for £300 , thinking I'd probably get away with a new piston and a barrel clean up . Turned out to be the crank big end bearing !! I didn't fancy a cheap crank and couldn't find a good used one so £200 for a genuine new one , new bearings gaskets seals and caber rings then I discover the oil pump is gone too . £350 odd later and a nice new Sugihara pro light bar I have a beauty of a saw .

Luckily I could do the repairs myself , but I'm gonna have to keep it and work it to get my monies worth .

My little J-red pales in comparison. Yikes! [emoji15]

Got a MS 271 for $50 that had a tree crunch it some . By the time I got the new parts I just managed to get what I had in it .
OEM plastic including recoil adds up fast , look into it before you commit .

Got a MS 271 for $50 that had a tree crunch it some . By the time I got the new parts I just managed to get what I had in it .
OEM plastic including recoil adds up fast , look into it before you commit .
Some of the places I go require that you make a decision pretty fast because the guy behind you in line will probably buy it!

‎Was given a 200T carcass.. crank, cyl, tank, top handle assembly...was into it for over $600 by the time I built it up... basically paid new retail to have a used rebuilt 200T.. had to sell my 355T to find out what a 200T was all about... ‎

Bought an FS550 for $150. I knew it would need some work when I picked it up, but the guy had a new carb and gearbox recently put on it..
Ended up needing a rear crank seal. So did crank bearings, seals, gaskets, rings, and put on a shredder kit, which are available in Canada btw if anyone is looking for one... ‎think I'm into it for 450, but it was on my list for a while, as it's really the only option to run shredder blades..

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_220151.jpg
    IMG_20150728_220151.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 39
My first chainsaw, that I actually owned, is a Stihl 011 AVT given to me by a neighbor. At the time I knew nothing about repairs, and twice paid to have it repaired. Despite it being free, I'm into it for at least $100.00 more than what I could sell it for.

I have an Echo CS-440 sitting in the garage, that bought for $40.00 knowing it would need at least a piston. Once I starting checking it out I found out it needs at minimum a P&C, and a brake band. I soon found out used Echo P&Cs are nearly impossible to find around here, and the cost of a new top end is just about what I might get selling it (and that doesn't include the cost of the brake band). The CS-440 is still in pieces in a box in my garage.

Usually when I go to buy used chainsaws I assume something is wrong with them that require some fixing, that way I don't get too disappointed when I get it home. Many times I'm pleasantly surprised however. I don't remember ever buying a used saw that didn't need cleaned up.

My first chainsaw, that I actually owned, is a Stihl 011 AVT given to me by a neighbor. At the time I knew nothing about repairs, and twice paid to have it repaired. Despite it being free, I'm into it for at least $100.00 more than what I could sell it for.

I have an Echo CS-440 sitting in the garage, that bought for $40.00 knowing it would need at least a piston. Once I starting checking it out I found out it needs at minimum a P&C, and a brake band. I soon found out used Echo P&Cs are nearly impossible to find around here, and the cost of a new top end is just about what I might get selling it (and that doesn't include the cost of the brake band). The CS-440 is still in pieces in a box in my garage.

I have two CS330 and a 360 like that. Cost of P&C will put me further upside down just to get rid of them.

I have a 330T that I finally ended up with about $75 in it...Didn't need any engine parts but needed a lot of outside stuff like a muffler, chain and can't remember what else...I was planning on keeping it to do the little trimming jobs around the house.

This will sound dumb but probably my dads Homelite Super 2 which is how this whole CAD thing got started. Had a leak somewhere, never did find it. I ended up buying a new carb, parts saw, air filter all kinds of little crap. I guess it was more that it was his saw that I can still remember from when I was little. In the end I just swapped the motor over from the parts saw and had a carb with H and L adjustments. Then he let it sit and of course now it won't start again.

Seems as those most of the money pits so to speak have been the smaller saws. Oops spoke to soon - I just remembered I talked myself into a Mcculloch SP80 and bought a basketcase off ebay that had "good compression." It didn't, of course, piston and cylinder were completely trashed (lost an ebay dispute on this as well). Well it had to be completely rebuilt - new piston/jug/fuel tank/av mounts/seals/carb kit....damn near everything. $300 later is was blowing 203psi cold and a screaming demon. I sold it back to Joey (member here). I really want that saw back :(

I have two CS330 and a 360 like that. Cost of P&C will put me further upside down just to get rid of them.

Carl, sorry to hear that, but it does make me feel better that I'm not the only one who got caught up in the Echo repair cost vortex :eek: :mad:. The only good news is I can use the CS-440 b&c on some of my other saws, and I might get my money back selling it as a parts saw, or maybe see a small profit parting it out.

The extent of the damage to the CS-440 didn't surprise me, the surprises came when I tried to track down a good used P&C, or a parts saw with a good P&C. I tried several local Echo dealers, none would even discuss selling me used parts. I tried eBay with no luck; I had no luck here here on AS. Then I found out that Echo only sells the complete engine (note--someone here on AS posted that the P & C could be purchased without buying the entire engine, but that was not what I read and heard). To add to the frustration...apparently the CS-520 P&C is a direct bolt-on, but those are equally difficult to find used and even more expensive new.

I apologize for the hijack.

Latest posts

Back