Cheap way out.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stump climber

Reaction score
image.jpg One wrap on the top pic held with ease for my groundy image.jpg Went to Home Depot today spent under $30 and made a home made lowering device.
I'm slowly building up all my gear and needed a fast way to slow down the limbs.
So what do you guys think ?

Yikes.

Cheap = dangerous, in this case.

You'd have been better off saving the $30 and just wrapping the trunk or a stout branch a time or two.

Yikes.

Cheap = dangerous, in this case.

You'd have been better off saving the $30 and just wrapping the trunk or a stout branch a time or two.

Fuk'n A....

Two problems: One - Threaded pipe is weakest at the threads (thread cutting reduces wall thickness), and: Two - Those threads will chew up rope and webbing quickly.
Like the others said, that is a dangerous device. I would have a different opinion if you had used socket-weld fittings in lieu of threaded. FWIW, my background includes completing an apprenticeship as a pipefitter.

Yeah that's not a good idea. Use a figure 8 or a porta-wrap. They aren't that expensive.

It worked for the day didn't have much of a load on it
I do mostly just put a wrap around the tree or a sistering tree if possible
I'm sure I'm not the first to try this yes there are better and safer ways to work and it all cost money my next purches will be a porta wrap for sure but if you knew me and how into tree work I am maybe instead of laughing at me and makeimg a joke about it you'd say good try a for efford but not safe

.... maybe instead of laughing at me and makeimg a joke about it you'd say good try a for efford but not safe
Very few replies were poking fun at you. BTW, one needs to be a little thick-skinned to post around here anyway. The majority of the replies were concerned about your personal safety, along with the safety of your groundie(s). We all want to see you continue doing this type of work, and to return home in the same condition in which you started your day's work ... albeit, a little more tired. "A" for effort? Sure ... you genuinely show an innovative characteristic ... but I still grade it a D-minus for execution. Hang in there (pun intended). <Ken>

I needed an extra friction device for a drift line. Used a big lawn mower wheel with 10T strap hooked to hub opening. Worked good. Had me thinking of aluminum 4 wheeler wheels... then I sobered up.

Two problems: One - Threaded pipe is weakest at the threads (thread cutting reduces wall thickness), and: Two - Those threads will chew up rope and webbing quickly.
Like the others said, that is a dangerous device. I would have a different opinion if you had used socket-weld fittings in lieu of threaded. FWIW, my background includes completing an apprenticeship as a pipefitter.
Bahaha well then we both know which way those threads turn, little late but thats ballsy n scery

Latest posts

Back