Check out my new splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canatct

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to me anyway!
Brave 26 ton model VH9926 with Tecumseh 8 hp horizontal engine.
The Brave tag is on the engine cover itself, not the splitter. Built late 2000. Previous owner didn't use it much and stored it inside.
The cylinder measures 5" outside to outside and it has a 7" wedge.
This is my first splitter and I have a couple questions.
The wedge has what seems to me like excessive side to side play. Is this normal?
The wedge stops a couple inches from the end plate. I'm guessing this is a built in safety feature.
Looked all over the web and didn't see one with yellow wheels?
I split a 1/2 ton truck load this morning and it sure beats swinging a maul.

I paid $380. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_1481.JPG
    IMG_1481.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1482.JPG
    IMG_1482.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1483.JPG
    IMG_1483.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 123
Anybody seen a Brave with the tag on the engine cover and not the splitter?

No but I haven't seen every brave splitter either.Maybe the "brave" logo goes with the Tecumseh engine.That splitter will give you good service.You bought it right too!

Thanks for the replies. I have some red oak that I'm anxious to try it out on. I had to use a wedge and sledge hammer to split some of it before so if this splitter will crack that stuff it should be ok for anything.

Think about oil change and hydraulic fluid and filter. Check air filter make sure its not disintegrating. Nice buy for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I'm going to do that this week. The total fluid according to Braves website is 5.4 gallons. It also says sae 10 for cold, sae 30 for hot , or dextron iii atf. I'm in SW Virginia and don't plan on splitting when it's below freezing nor during the summer. Do you folks recommend just going with something like sae 20 hydraulic or the dextron iii?
I plan on using a Wix 51552 filter.
I can't find service info on the Tecumseh hm80.

Nice find, and a good price!

As mentioned above, change all the fluids and have fun splitting!

Down the road it will save you time and backaches, if you put a work table on the opposite side that you stand on. It will catch the split portion of wood on that side and keeep you from walking around to pick it back up!

Nice find, and a good price!

As mentioned above, change all the fluids and have fun splitting!

Down the road it will save you time and backaches, if you put a work table on the opposite side that you stand on. It will catch the split portion of wood on that side and keeep you from walking around to pick it back up!

There are no holes on the side or bottom to attach a work table. Brave said I could drill holes to attach one but I may just build a table out of scrap wood for now.

There are no holes on the side or bottom to attach a work table. Brave said I could drill holes to attach one but I may just build a table out of scrap wood for now.

Wood table would work just fine!

I just welded one on my hydraulic splitter as it had no holes either. It helps a ton as that splitter is only used for big nasties that I don't want to beat my SS up with.

Good find at that price. Are you going to use it Vertical or Horizontal.

Both. I used it horizontal yesterday and at 27" high, my back hurt. I'm going to try parking it on rhino ramps to get it up to working level.
On the red oak that's waiting on me , definitely vertical.

We came to a deal of $400 and when I paid her she handed me back $20 because she said it's what the Irish do. I figure at that price I'm good even if the engine grenades tomorrow.

You're not helping yourself here. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back