Cheers and jeers for a Bandit 2550 stumper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey fellow chip makers, I'm on the cusp of buying another stump grinder. I'm VERY seriously considering a used(71 hours) Bandit 2550 grinder with the 35hp gas engine, green teeth, 4x4 etc.. I know everyone has their favorite brand but surprisingly there aren't many dealer options up here in the Minneapolis area and Bandit seems to have the largest market share in the area. Does anyone have one of these they like or don't?

35hp, trapped in a hydraulic circuit, don't seem very reasonable to me.

Hey Marine! I did a demo with the biggest bandit Tristate Bobcat out of Little Canada had. 61 hp w/perkins diesel. For the money, I didn't like it. Too slow, big and heavy. Awesome swing though. Check out Rayco's gas jobs. Trenchers Plus in Burnsville is a dealer. I went with a Rayco RG45X. I looked at the new super jrs, didn't want to stay with a gas job. They all have a 50" swing, which smokes my 38" swing on my 1625 Super Jr.

I didn't like the hp loss going with all hyd motor, plus the motor is bigger than a belt guard on the side of the cutting wheel. Raycos use a gearbox to toothed belt to drive the wheel.

I would keep looking around.

I am wanting to sell my old Super Jr. If tou want to take a look. I'm in Lakeville.

Bob

A hydrostatic drive on with that horsepower = mistake!! I used the Toro 38HP and it was a joke - my old original Rayco 20HP Magnum Jr would out cut it. Hydros are nice if you start with a ton of horsepower.

If it would work on small horsepower don't you think Rayco would have done it? They invented the Hydro drive grinders and they go to the trouble to either belt or gearbox drive theirs. I run Carltons - because they are belt drive.

Get 2 machines side by side and you will see the difference.

Let us know what you do.

Hey Marine! I did a demo with the biggest bandit Tristate Bobcat out of Little Canada had. 61 hp w/perkins diesel. For the money, I didn't like it. Too slow, big and heavy. Awesome swing though. Check out Rayco's gas jobs. Trenchers Plus in Burnsville is a dealer. I went with a Rayco RG45X. I looked at the new super jrs, didn't want to stay with a gas job. They all have a 50" swing, which smokes my 38" swing on my 1625 Super Jr.

I didn't like the hp loss going with all hyd motor, plus the motor is bigger than a belt guard on the side of the cutting wheel. Raycos use a gearbox to toothed belt to drive the wheel.

I would keep looking around.

I am wanting to sell my old Super Jr. If tou want to take a look. I'm in Lakeville.

Bob

Sorry Top, I had a 1625 Super Jr for years I made a LOT of money with and I'm looking to go as big as I can afford right now(probably around $25kish)
My requirements are somewhere around 40+hp diesel, 4x4 or tracks and chip plow(I know most that size do) and I'm open to Scandivik or Green teeth wheels. I've been talking to the Morbark factory and they might have a few in my price range or I'm just starting to look at Carlton as well and obviously Rayco and Bandit are up there...it's all about the right deal with above mentioned features. I'm also looking into doing sharpening and replacing carbides on the teeth for our area since I'll be needing it for my own machine as well.

That's cool. Unless you find a screaming deal , I would stay away from the Bandit. I went with Rayco because of nearby dealer support if needed, otherwise I was looking hard at Carlton, but no dealer support in the area.

Personally I think resharpening teeth myself is a waste of my time. I can send them out to be resharpened for $3 each and spend my time grinding stumps at $250 to $300 / hour. I've tried resharpening teeth - not only do you have your time invested but also the grinding wheels. The carbide dust created while resharpening is very toxic to your body. I would say concentrate on your stump grinding - hard to beat the per hour return on that!

Personally I think resharpening teeth myself is a waste of my time. I can send them out to be resharpened for $3 each and spend my time grinding stumps at $250 to $300 / hour. I've tried resharpening teeth - not only do you have your time invested but also the grinding wheels. The carbide dust created while resharpening is very toxic to your body. I would say concentrate on your stump grinding - hard to beat the per hour return on that!

I'm not so much looking at the sharpening aspect as just the replacement. I can get brand new carbides for $3 a piece and it's minimal effort to replace them(and yes I have read all about the nasty stuff associated with carbide dust)probably less than 5 minutes per tooth, and especially when it's too cold out(like today for example. LOL) it could be a decent way to kill some time and make a few extra bucks while also having the ability to keep overhead costs down until I get established up here and start networking.

3 dollars a tooth you say? Can you reply with the details? If not please PM them to me.

A guy named Raymond Johnson over in southern GA. And this is for the Sandvik teeth - which are more expensive because they have harder carbide and large carbide. I know it is a bargain - that is why I don't do it myself!!!

Tool Grinding Services
649 Woodcrest Road
we sharpen stump grinder teeth & chipper blades only,& nothing else
Sylvester
GA 31791-7760
Phone: (229) 776-6564

I just sent and received back a trial run of 100 yellowjackets from Raymond. The guy did a great job, very fast turn around, highly recommend him. What's more important, as previously mentioned I don't have to screw around with these anymore.

A guy named Raymond Johnson over in southern GA. And this is for the Sandvik teeth - which are more expensive because they have harder carbide and large carbide. I know it is a bargain - that is why I don't do it myself!!!

Tool Grinding Services
649 Woodcrest Road
we sharpen stump grinder teeth & chipper blades only,& nothing else
Sylvester
GA 31791-7760
Phone: (229) 776-6564

Latest posts

Back