chemical to kill trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
What works to keep trees from re-growing?

I cut down maybe 2 dozen 7-10" dbh poplar on a fence line last spring. By July I already had new trees growing off the stumps!

Roundup didn't help. Can't rip the stumps out, it'd tear out the fence and 3 lumber sheds.

Have several other areas against buildings that they keep growing too. Cut them down with brush cutter and a month later almost as big again.
One spot they grew inside the wall even! (OSB wall, never got tin put up)

Tordon, Imazuron, Sahara.

Nasty chemicals for nearby trees though

There are spruce across the paved farm road, about 40ft, would that be a problem? Fence is on one side of the road, spruce are on the other... well like 20ft from the sides. Otherwise nothing else that matters.

One thing that is key is proper use. Treat the stumps as soon as you cut them. Within 30 minutes, but sooner is better. You only need a little bit and just around the sapwood.

Availability may be variable by State...

I'll second the vote for Tordon RTU. should be easy to find. I pay about $20 per quart. It moves in root grafts more than others, so where it is a problem is if you are trying to kill "Specimen A" but keep "Specimen B" where they are the same species and close to each other. Tulip-poplar is more sensitive than most others I see. I have seen walnut impacted in a stand with VERY thick honeysuckle being treated.

Garlon tends to get a better kill on most species, but it is a little harder to find in reasonably sized containers. In Ohio, Garlon 4 is not restricted use (no license needed to purchase), but Garlon 3 is. You want 4 anyhow.

Crossbow is the same active ingredient in Garlon (triclopyr) in a significantly lower concentration mixed with 2, 4-D. The goal was to lower the price without losing efficacy. It does decent, but not as well as Garlon on most species.

Round-Up does OK, but not great if you are using it at 30%+ on fresh cut stumps - especially in the fall. The others listed above all tend to do better, but people have Round-Up and it is generally labeled for cut stump treatment, so it is worth a mention.

So, how did you apply the Round-up,
Seriously, because I am in a location that has many trees that we can not stump grind, I mean Brazilian pepper, poplar, liquidambar,(sweet gum), eucalyptus,, I could go on, these trees will sprout viciously, I use 'Round-up' full strength and never had ,(well, a couple),
Like I asked,
How did you apply the 'Round- Up'?
Jeff

2 or 3 gal weed sprayer and sprayed the stumps and branches/suckers as well as the ground all around (was wanting to kill all the grass too). I did this 3 or 4 times throughout the summer. The grass mostly never grew all summer but the poplar grew just as quick as it normally would.
Also went in with a brush cutter and chopped everything down twice to try and help kill it. (weeds and shoots/suckers (whatever they are called)

Some of them could probably be ground, though the dirt is gravel with alot of rock so I'm sure it will be really hard on a grinder's teeth. Plus I don't have a grinder.

Full strength like no water? I mixed it according to the directions, maybe slightly "hot". It was the "good ****" too, around $200 for a jug.

What works to keep trees from re-growing?

I cut down maybe 2 dozen 7-10" dbh poplar on a fence line last spring. By July I already had new trees growing off the stumps!

Roundup didn't help. Can't rip the stumps out, it'd tear out the fence and 3 lumber sheds.

Have several other areas against buildings that they keep growing too. Cut them down with brush cutter and a month later almost as big again.
One spot they grew inside the wall even! (OSB wall, never got tin put up)
This is what you need.
s-l500.jpg

You can buy it from eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tordon-RTU-...005921?hash=item35fe237f61:g:GzkAAOSwvt1WRgUv
Good luck.

2 or 3 g gal weed sprayer and sprayed the stumps and branches/suckers as well as the ground all around (was wanting to kill all the grass too). I did this 3 or 4 times throughout the summer. The grass mostly never grew all summer but the poplar grew just as quick as it normally would.......

Full strength like no water? I mixed it according to the directions, maybe slightly "hot". It was the "good ****" too, around $200 for a jug.
You don't use the same strength for foliar treatment that you use for stump treatment. Foliar is generally around 1-2%. Depending on what you bought (there are a LOT of different bottles of RoundUp), you may have RTU (ready to use at the 1-2%), 18%, 32%, 40%, etc... Stump treatment should be around 30%. So, yes...no water. Again, you should only use a little bit around the outside of the stump. And, again, RoundUp isn't the best for this...best to use in the fall if you are going to. RoundUp is best taken in through the leaves.

Don't know what you mean by the good stuff. Some of the more expensive stuff has different surfactants that you don't need to be paying for when you are doing stump treatments. Get the basic, plane-jane, unflavored RoundUp. Just make sure it is the right percentage....and that it is labeled for cut stump treatments.

You just wanted to show off your big toy ;)

very cool!
Lol yeah that too, but mainly trying to show that Tordon works well enough to spray not very accurately with a machine and still be effective.

Back