Cherry cookie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel Legs are from another member from here, Bert. I can't remember his user name on here but it starts with an H. He posted in a thread I started about a Cedar log we milled together.

I use super glue a lot on different things, probably would have worked but I've had it spread to the good wood and discolor it before(on turning projects). I've heard of, but never used, some stuff called wood hardener, I think minwax might make it, but it can be bought at lowes/hd, people seem to like it a lot and probably would have worked. Either way, the table looks nice, like the cracks on the outside, a lot of people probably would have just used it for firewood.

Cracks don't bother me at all. At least the small ones that are on that table. The punky wood I can do without but that's the reason I was able to mill all that wood in the first place so I can't complain.

BOA:
Glad to see you put those legs to good use - the table looks great!

Here's my version of the cherry cookie table, also outfitted with 3/8" steel hairpin legs. All checks, cracks and soft spots have been filled with marine epoxy resin and sanded glass-smooth. Tung oil finish.

Cracks do concern me, especially at the edges, since I see that as a spot that could catch on clothing, blankets. etc. I really like the look of the clear epoxy too - from a short distance you can't tell its even there as you can see into the split. Getting all air bubbles out of the narrow gaps is very tricky though, and so far, it's been a time consuming process.
Cherry cookie table.JPG

Looks great Bert! I was being lazy with the cracks cause I find that I always need to do multiple rounds. Did you use a butane torch for bubbles? I just bought one and plan to use that on my next epoxy projects.

Thank Andrew. Yes, I used a propane torch. Once the bubbles slowly rise from the cracks through the viscous epoxy, and eventually make it to the surface, a quick pass with the torch flame pops the bubble leaving no trace of the bubble. Do be careful not to allow the torch to linger too long on the resin though.

Latest posts

Back