Christmas Tree harvesting (short video)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, here's a neat little video explaining how Christmas trees are harvested. Pretty cool.

I'm going to guess that's here in Oregon it's done quite a bit, if you want I can get some pictures of the equipment we used when we still were doing wholesale Christmas tree harvest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

One you'd break branches with a set of standard shovel grapples, two width of the rows are normally 5x5 or 6x6 were a high walker which is standard out here are 11'6" we have used our loaders before to load trucks with 10'+ trees is where it became cost effective. Another thing is the distance between some of the fields and landings can be 10 miles or more then some of the guys have super steep ground so they do it all that way with centralized balers and landings for loading.

Used to be a big tree farm in D town, the just drove the trucks through the field and tossed the trees in by hand, not a whole lot different then bucking hay, same trucks too.

They might still be doing that up there...

Seems like helicopter would be super cost ineffective.

Also, helicopters are FAST. Sure they're spendy per-hour, but they're up there for so few hours that it works out. Christmas trees are sold at an outrageous mark-up, especially in non-timbered areas. I've watched this operation before and it's pretty cool to see them doing it.

There is another video of a guy flying trees with a helicopter. In my opinion it is one of the finest demonstration s of flying a line that I have come across. I'll look it up

There is another video of a guy flying trees with a helicopter. In my opinion it is one of the finest demonstration s of flying a line that I have come across. I'll look it up
I've seen the big guys do it here, we never used them even doing half a million the growers out here do a couple million from Halloween to December 15th.

Looks like it could be the same or similar rig as the first posted video.

There's a few spraying companies around I wouldn't be surprised if they're not theirs.

Looks like it could be the same or similar rig as the first posted video.
The timing and placement of the swing is quite impressive!

Would be interesting to see the ground operators handling this speed.

Makes no sense to me to use a copter vs shovel loader.
Oh now you're an expert in harvesting Christmas trees. The only time I believe you is when you remind us you are brain damaged. You claim to own a saw shop, a firewood business, skidders and loaders, and other heavy equipment. What's next? Brain surgeon, professional hockey player, Nobel prize winner, saw builder?

One you'd break branches with a set of standard shovel grapples, two width of the rows are normally 5x5 or 6x6 were a high walker which is standard out here are 11'6" we have used our loaders before to load trucks with 10'+ trees is where it became cost effective. Another thing is the distance between some of the fields and landings can be 10 miles or more then some of the guys have super steep ground so they do it all that way with centralized balers and landings for loading.

Or a tractor with couple trailers. Dunno what copters cost there, but here its in the 5-7k an hr area.

Or a tractor with couple trailers. Dunno what copters cost there, but here its in the 5-7k an hr area.
We personally used them but there's places where you can't take a tractor here or years it's too wet. Christmas trees is our second biggest ag industry in the state and second biggest in the country. 5 to 7k an hour how do you guys spray then? It's no where near that an hour from memory.

Dunno what copters cost there, but here its in the 5-7k an hr area.

For what kind of helicopter? The one in the video would cost less. Much less.
Balance that against the speed of production and not needing as much manpower and equipment of your own and the choice is obvious.
The tree farm owner didn't look like a rookie to me. He has his operation figured out and I'll bet he knows his costs right down to the penny.
You, on the other hand....

For what kind of helicopter? The one in the video would cost less. Much less.
Balance that against the speed of production and not needing as much manpower and equipment of your own and the choice is obvious.
The tree farm owner didn't look like a rookie to me. He has his operation figured out and I'll bet he knows his costs right down to the penny.
You, on the other hand....
When we were still doing wholesale Nobles you had to know every cost down to the penny it's not hard to loose money in that business. Have you been down to the Valley in Oregon during harvester or to the big farms? It's impressive to watch they go it's organized mess especially when trucks are there. The last few years we actually ran a stand up baler to make it more efficient to remove the trees from the fields.

Back