Circular saw recommendations? (I know it's a bit off-topic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwasifar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this is off-topic for firewood forum, but most of you guys are serious tool-heads and a lot of you are way more experienced than I am, so I hope the mods will forgive this minor transgression long enough to let you give your recommendations.

I'm considering a new circular saw. The saw I have right now is kinda ok, but nothing special (11 amps and 5000rpm, which is kind of underpowered by modern standards, without modern niceties like worklight, spindle lock and cast shoe), and I think it might be time to upgrade after ~20 years with it. My philosophy with tool purchases is usually to buy the best I can afford, but seeing as I'm not a contractor and don't use the saw every day, I've put an upper price limit of $150 on this.

So what saw do you guys like? I'm seeing a lot of good buzz on the internet about the Makita 5007MG, which comes in at $149, right at the top end of my limit. But some people seem to like Lowes' Kobalt K15CS-06AB as an alternative, which is a lot cheaper at $85. I know they're probably not in the same class, and I'm a little leery of a house-brand saw, but that's a big difference in price. Either of those? Something else? I'd seriously appreciate the benefit of your experience. Thanks guys.

Kobalt makes good tools. It's what I've been buying since Craftsman mostly is junk now.

As for a saw, worm drive is what I'd choose, but itd be used for $150.

Contractor friend recommended to me bosch. I have been happy so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd go with a Homelite XL100 or XL120, nothing like 2 stroke fumes when framing in the basement. Just jokin, but when you're in the firewood forum you need to talk 2 stroke, Joe.

Kobalt makes good tools. It's what I've been buying since Craftsman mostly is junk now.
Yeah, my current saw is a Craftsman. Thinking back, I must have bought it around 1992, give or take a year. 24 years of service is a pretty good run. I always respected Craftsman, because of the warranty, their general reputation, and because my dad bought Craftsman when he wasn't being a cheapskate. But now, with Sears circling the drain, it's just another formerly respected American marque being slapped on generic China junk. Sad.

I bought a used Makita back about 1991, from a contractor that was building my house. He replaced it with another Makita. I bought a new Makita when son kept borrowing my old one. This was probably 10 12 years ago. Both saws are still running strong. My son did finally buy his own saw, and bought a Dewalt. Another good saw, but it weights more than the makita. My son has been a building contractor since high school and hes 38 now. Good saws will last a long time. As for the kobalt, I bought a Kobalt drill and really like it, dont know about their saws. I bought the drill because of the low price. I'll let you know how well it holds up in about 10 years.

I've got quite a few circle saws around here, but my fav "corded" saw is my Bosch... It just keep on going and it's had a LOT of use.

I think it's a good compromise between reliability and weight.

SR

I've got quite a few circle saws around here, but my fav "corded" saw is my Bosch... It just keep on going and it's had a LOT of use.

I think it's a good compromise between reliability and weight.

SR
Got a model number for that? You're the second one to say Bosch.

My dad has a 20+ year old Makita that is still running strong. I bought a Makita (don't remember the model but it wasn't the really expensive one) 5 years ago and it seems to be every bit as good as my dads. I think you'd be happy with any major brand e.g. DeWalt, Bosch, Hitachi, Milwaukee.

Got a model number for that? You're the second one to say Bosch.
It looks like my model has been replaced with the model, CS10.

standard.jpg

Mine looks a bit beat up, mostly from taking falls... Like the time it went off the roof of a second story bld., that broke the blade guard, but it just keeps on ticking!

It's my fav circular saw...

SR

It looks like my model has been replaced with the model, CS10.

Mine looks a bit beat up, mostly from taking falls... Like the time it went off the roof of a second story bld., that broke the blade guard, but it just keeps on ticking!

It's my fav circular saw...
Have you had any issues with the angle adjustment wandering away from square? Some reviewers complain about that.

Tonight I'm gonna head out to the box stores and check out the various offerings. I wish there was somewhere I could see them all in one place, but I'll have to go to Home Depot to see the Makita and Lowes to see the Kobalt, so I'll look at the others while I'm there too.

I did some research on the Kobalt tools. They're OEM'ed by a Hong Kong company called Chervon (not Chevron), who just bought the Skil brand a couple of months ago, and whose president is named - and I am not making this up - Peter Pan. I'm still a bit leery of buying a house brand power tool, but the price is there, the specs are there. Magnesium body and shoe, worklight, 6300RPM 15-amp motor, electric brake, 5-year warranty, for barely more than half the price of the Makita. I know, I know, you get what you pay for, and buying a house brand tool screams "amateur," but I feel compelled to give it a fair look.

Anyone have any recommendations for what to avoid? I mean, aside from the obvious low-end crud.

I'd go with a Homelite XL100 or XL120, nothing like 2 stroke fumes when framing in the basement. Just jokin, but when you're in the firewood forum you need to talk 2 stroke, Joe.

My buddy built his ~2000 Sq ft house with pretty much a chainsaw, hammer and a few boxes of nails. Lumber came from the Woodmizer. Just had to buy plumbing, insalation, etc.

His wife kept on him about putting a window in a room. He grabbed the 570 and cut a hole, stuck a window in. She wasn't too happy about the mess and fumes when she got home hahaha!

i have a Dewalt top handle and the Skilsaw framing one. Skilsaw is heavy, and the dewalt is nice and light and powerful, but i prefer the framing one as you are pushing it, and not being taking for a ride with it. But me and the old man normally cut UHMW plastic with them. I want the new Dewalt framing one, it weighs in alot lights than the skilsaw just waiting for it to die first though.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 21
  • unsmx8ntwrm9y4ghbebw.jpg
    unsmx8ntwrm9y4ghbebw.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 24
Have you had any issues with the angle adjustment wandering away from square? Some reviewers complain about that.

Absolutely not, mine has been stone reliable in every way, other than it's now needing a new trigger. (switch) I wonder how many thousands of times it's been pulled over the years?? lol

BUT, I have to tell you, the more I use this De-Walt 20V cordless saw, the more that I LOVE it!,

standard.jpg

It's light weight, powerful and seems to be well made,

standard.jpg

I now use it more than any other circular saw that I have, BUT I haven't had it for "years" yet, so we will see how it holds up.

SR

I've got a Bosch worm drive that's awesome but you'll pay big for it..has crazy power.

I also have a cheap-o SkilSaw that I use to cut up pallets for kindling ..it's taken a beating and still works.

Back