Climbing lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SRT, I haven't had a line wear out before I damaged it. DRT, I ran 2 ropes a year. 1 200' and 1 120'. I washed them regurlarly too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I currently climb on New England safety blue. It's held up very well considering I don't use any sort of cambium saver while I climb. It tends well through my zigzag but it's a PAIN to feed through. So I just leave it on the rope, I think a smaller diameter might tend better though

Maybe I've had an outlier of a personal experience with a wrench and safety blue but I've found that the wrench doesn't seem to roll as smoothly with larger diameter 16 strand as it does the smaller diameter 24 strand

Pulled the trigger on a 150ft. Hank of tachyon. Should be good for both my toperunner and zigzag. However I might just dedicate the one of my ropes to each of my devices ( RR&Zigzag) when I find out which one handles better for each device. I haven't had a chance to use my RR yet. Any tips for me? I already have a CT foot ascender but no handled/ 2 handed ascender wth a foot loop or knee ascender. Tips would be great. Also if anyone is looking to get rid of a handled ascender and a foot loop I'm in the market for one lol

I use a CT foot ascender on my right foot and a SAKA on my left knee. Santa brought me a RR about a week ago. I've only used it on one tree so far. I use a Weaver chest box to tend the RR and my hitches. They're only $15. I usually just wear it all day. It's small, light and cheap and I don't even know it's on. And it will go on over a helmet with ear muffs. I have a handled ascender but only used it a couple times. I find it's faster to just grip the rope. Sometimes I'll keep it on my belt and clip it on the rope for a 3 to 1 to help coming back up if I'm on a bad limb.

The foot ascender is enough to ascend but a knee ascender is tits on the longer ascents.
You will need something to tether the runner, neck or chest.
I rock the MCRS Suspenders so I have a loop for a chest tether already. I have 2 mini DMM biners to clip it to the loop. I've been looking into the saka or haas but don't want to drop that much dough . I'll try it with just the foot ascender and if I need the knee I'll just buy it

Tachyon should play nice in the runner due to the second core. It's gonna be stretchy though. I like the all poly yale 11.7s. I would also like to try the all gear lines
I looked into the all gear lines but I read they milk a lot and fuzz up pretty bad. So I went with the tachyon( if it doesn't work for my RR I know it will be the cats meow for my zigzag

Saka is worth the $. I made my own and it worked fine but I bought one from richard and it is fantastic. I had a hard time justifying spending that much on something I only use for a minute or so a climb, but it makes that minute that much better and makes the rest of the climb better.
Sell the zigzag, once you go srt you wont want to go back, and buy a saka and a badass long lanyard setup.

Saka is worth the $. I made my own and it worked fine but I bought one from richard and it is fantastic. I had a hard time justifying spending that much on something I only use for a minute or so a climb, but it makes that minute that much better and makes the rest of the climb better.
Sell the zigzag, once you go srt you wont want to go back, and buy a saka and a badass long lanyard setup.
... I haven't used my RR yet so idk if I'll do that lol. I'm super attached to my zigzag. What are the benefits of the zigzag over the RR?

The All Gear 11.5mm ropes are great. I use the 11.7mm Yale ropes a lot, but the All Gear rope (at least for me) has proven to be less bouncy, and is one of two ropes I use for SRT (the other is KM3 MAX). I've had no problems with the All Gear fuzzing up (the Cougar is far worse about that) and it's held up well. I even have some lanyards made out of it, and they've held up very well.

There are advantages to both Stationary Rope and Moving Rope techniques. I have no intention of giving up one technique in favor of the other, because I find them both useful. The ZigZag is still the king of mechanicals, IMHO, as I haven't found any of the others to be anywhere near as smooth on such a variety of ropes, and none of them are as self-tending. I do have a GoFundMe version of the Akimbo coming soon, and I'm optimistic that it might be an SRT mechanical that I'll really like... but I won't be getting rid of any of the ZigZags. At my age, and the way I like to work, MRT still provides the most comfort, security and mechanical advantage for work positioning. Most of my SRT is access only, although I hope to work a little more work positioning stuff with it starting next spring.

My point is only that you don't have to give up techniques you are comfortable and familiar with... you can incorporate SRT into your climbing a little at a time and then decide if you want to phase out one or the other. You might find that a combination of the two works best for you (like running a DdRT system off the tail of your SRT line for limb walking). As time goes by, you will find that your climbing style will change... partly because you learn better ways of doing things... an partly because you have no choice. Things that are easy now, won't be nearly as easy when you're older... so you adapt. The more climbing styles you experiment with, the better off you'll be.

The All Gear 11.5mm ropes are great. I use the 11.7mm Yale ropes a lot, but the All Gear rope (at least for me) has proven to be less bouncy, and is one of two ropes I use for SRT (the other is KM3 MAX). I've had no problems with the All Gear fuzzing up (the Cougar is far worse about that) and it's held up well. I even have some lanyards made out of it, and they've held up very well.

There are advantages to both Stationary Rope and Moving Rope techniques. I have no intention of giving up one technique in favor of the other, because I find them both useful. The ZigZag is still the king of mechanicals, IMHO, as I haven't found any of the others to be anywhere near as smooth on such a variety of ropes, and none of them are as self-tending. I do have a GoFundMe version of the Akimbo coming soon, and I'm optimistic that it might be an SRT mechanical that I'll really like... but I won't be getting rid of any of the ZigZags. At my age, and the way I like to work, MRT still provides the most comfort, security and mechanical advantage for work positioning. Most of my SRT is access only, although I hope to work a little more work positioning stuff with it starting next spring.

My point is only that you don't have to give up techniques you are comfortable and familiar with... you can incorporate SRT into your climbing a little at a time and then decide if you want to phase out one or the other. You might find that a combination of the two works best for you (like running a DdRT system off the tail of your SRT line for limb walking). As time goes by, you will find that your climbing style will change... partly because you learn better ways of doing things... an partly because you have no choice. Things that are easy now, won't be nearly as easy when you're older... so you adapt. The more climbing styles you experiment with, the better off you'll be.
You see I progressed from a blakes hitch to an eye-eye prussik &a micro pulley to a zigzag in the matter of a month. I've grown to love my zigzag for it's tending and smooth descent. I love the integrated swivel as well ( keeps my bridge a little lighter and my rope from getting all twisted). I'll always keep my zigzag. But I really want to give this srt stuff a shot. I got a super deal on my RR ( $165 for the device,dmm ultra o and 2 mini dmm no locking biners to act as a tether). I'll be using it over the winter in my yard before I put it to work in the tree.
As far as basal anchors go can I just use an excess piece of rope and tie it around the tree w/ a tautline and then tie a bowline on the tail and attach the end of my srt line to t with a biner?

I just choke the base with the climbline, either a saftied bowline with the end or alpine butterfly and a delta if there's a bunch of tail leftover. Work on setting up a choked retrievable canopy anchor. That's the way to go most of the time.

I just choke the base with the climbline, either a saftied bowline with the end or alpine butterfly and a delta if there's a bunch of tail leftover. Work on setting up a choked retrievable canopy anchor. That's the way to go most of the time.
How would you retrieve a choked canopy anchor? Lol

Latest posts

Back