Climbing Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jbird said:
So what is your favorite recipe for a homemade friction saver?

J-bird,

A couple of details that aren't clear from the pic of your false crotch.

That setup is one of the most versatile FCs. Low cost and highly efficient.

The large biner on the left should be an HMS style biner. My favorite is the ISC Gecko. Whenever I rig a FC the gate is ALWAYS positioned away from the tree.

An oval or delta MR screw link could be used to attach the pulley. NEVER use a screwgate biner for personal support, even for RTC. Too likely to have it open.

CMI makes a less expensive pulley that sells for around #13 that works just as well as the $23 one. The less expensive one doesn't have as high a "Cool Factor" though :)

FC's should be used all of the time. They reduce damage to the tree, rope and climber.

Sizzle-Chest said:
SPRECHEN SIE SASSY??!!!
PS, have you ever read "A walk in the woods" by bill bryson? Seems like something you might enjoy. Its about hiking the appellation trail, and for some reason, it reminds me of you.

I don't know if you meant for this to be some kind of pun (apellation trail), but it is tremendously funny!!! :blob2:

Why is this thread like reading a book with a bunch of its pages ripped out?
And what happened to JBird? Did he pull a Rocky?

Bryson's A Walk In the Woods is hilarious and well worth reading IMHO, as is everything he's written, especially Made In America and Notes From a Small Island.

Jbird couldnt take the heat, so he pulled out. He couldnt hack it man, i dont know who rocky is, but I'de say he's more like that section 8 from full metal jacket, private pyle. I'm debating deleting my other posts because they now make no sense.

Hey Shag, somehow I get the impression your ascent up that Redwood ain't just a casual, Sunday afternoon foray into a tree. Do tell us more ....

that was shag's only post, and it was a little while ago, so im figuring hes still up that tree!

Sizzle-chest, why did Jbird leave this forum? You mentioned he couldn't "take the heat." What the hell kind of "heat" can there be on a REC forum???

Chucky said:
Sizzle-chest, why did Jbird leave this forum? You mentioned he couldn't "take the heat." What the hell kind of "heat" can there be on a REC forum???

Oh there's heat baby! The Sizzler is HOT

But seriously Chuck, I'de hate to think that Jbird left cuz of me, but Im pretty sure thats the case. See, me an him had a brief exchange of ideas, and by that I mean an arguement. There was some name calling and finger pointing (mostly through PM but some on this thread) and things were gettin pretty heated when he just up and left. I have mixed feelings about it. I normally dont mind argueing with people online, and I dont thing people should be put off by other peoples opinions, but jbird had some sort of score to settle with me or something. I mean, the guy was out for my blood, picking on me for the stupidest things. So I say good riddance to negative-jbird.

:Eye: :Eye:
C

U

Well, I think I know what happened, and it's the classic clash of idealogies and cultures. Arboristsite is basically a blue collar site, but a REC site will invariably invite white collar, greenie-type people, and that's a clash of cultures. Picture ATVers and snowmobilers vs hikers. Or Wise Use vs Preservation. Same thing.

Sizzle, I can see you're actually a production aborist, not really a REC climber. You hit head on with a REC climber whose outlook on tree climbing is very different from yours. Nothing against either one of you, you both just approach tree climbing from totally different world view.

I have to give you a lot of credit, though, Sizzle, you're a bit bold and brash for a newbie, but you had the humility at first to accept some of Jbirds suggestions. If he kept on you after that, then I can't blame you getting impatient with him letting him hear it. If he can't handle that, then, oh well...

thanks for the words Chucky, you are very right about the culture clash. maybe jbird would be happy to know that i made a friction/cambium saver. wherever you are jbird, know that i have taken at least some of your advice!

Culture mesh?

Yup, I'm one of those crunchy-granola green type rec climbers :) Rec climbers have plenty to learn from work climbers about the nuts and bolts of being in a tree. It's amazing how much can be learned by watching an experienced arborist climb for 5 minutes. On the other side of it rec climbers have the opportunity to demonstrate a different way of looking at trees for the professional climber: it's always good seeing an arborist mellowing out when they're on a rec climb. No rush for a change.

My biggest problem right now is that I like climbing (and pruning) so much that my day job is starting to get in the way! I look around at my co-workers and can see how the day-in and day-out sitting at a computer keyboard is quietly destroying their bodies and their spirits.
-moss

moss said:
Yup, I'm one of those crunchy-granola green type rec climbers :) Rec climbers have plenty to learn from work climbers about the nuts and bolts of being in a tree. It's amazing how much can be learned by watching an experienced arborist climb for 5 minutes. On the other side of it rec climbers have the opportunity to demonstrate a different way of looking at trees for the professional climber: it's always good seeing an arborist mellowing out when they're on a rec climb. No rush for a change.

My biggest problem right now is that I like climbing (and pruning) so much that my day job is starting to get in the way! I look around at my co-workers and can see how the day-in and day-out sitting at a computer keyboard is quietly destroying their bodies and their spirits.
-moss

you know . . . if a person learns enough about pruning and climbing, I hear there's a nitch to be filled for doing fine tree trimming that actually helps trees grow to their potential in urban environments. Its one way to do the work you love while saving the trees you love. I like granola

Chucky

that particular tree I climb for business, but I do enjoy rec climbing whenever I can. Does anybody know what skywalking is?

Shag said:
Chucky

that particular tree I climb for business, but I do enjoy rec climbing whenever I can. Does anybody know what skywalking is?

Well, I imagine it's walking across a rope tied between two trees. I suppose it'd be helpful to have another rope above to hang (and clip) onto? I'm just guessing, of course.

Out of curiousity, are you a seed harvester, Shag?

hey shag, your second picture, in addition to not wearing shoes i noticed that your rope doesnt appear to be climbing rope. Is that the case? I looks like twisted nylon ski rope or something scary. Whats the scoop? Was it just to help you traverse or something?

Sizzle-Chest said:
hey shag, your second picture, in addition to not wearing shoes i noticed that your rope doesnt appear to be climbing rope. Is that the case? I looks like twisted nylon ski rope or something scary.

Good eye, Sizzle. I went back and zoomed on that line, especially the knot on the right. It DOES look like some cheap polypro line.

You don't think?????

pantheraba said:
Good eye, Sizzle. I went back and zoomed on that line, especially the knot on the right. It DOES look like some cheap polypro line.

You don't think?????

well, thems redwoods he climbing in, and last i checked redwoods are kinda big and tall, so i'm guessing that he's more than a few feet off the ground. can't say i'de use line like that to support my body in a tree, but then there's a lot about ol shag that don't make much sense to me, like being barefoot in a tree . . . whatever tickles your pickle i guess!

:Eye: :Eye:
C
U

so you want to know about dog huh? i knew the day would come when i would have to explain . . . dog. It's pretty dumb actually but i will try to explain: the size of the pictures taken on my camera is far too large to post here. if i reduce the image and save it, then my original copy is permanently altered and detail is lost. so, instead of reducing the original, i paste a copy on a generic picture titled "dog". Save and post, then redo the process so that i can keep all my originals in big format. Sounds stupid, but thats what i do! Here are some funny pictures of Original DOG!!!

Back