Climbing queen palms, help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you guys look over my shopping list and suggest changes? This will be for the RADS.
Thanks

harnessnew tribenikosilarge$339.00SAD533
ropesterlingHTP red200' X 3/8"$188.00HT3820E
throwline kitzing it1.75MM$40.00THR101K
LANYARD2-IN-1W/ PRUSIK10'$92.00FLI114K
DESCENDERPETZLGRIGRI2$99.95ASC215
ascenderCMIEXPEDITIONLEFT HAND$58.00ASC148
caribeinerROCK EXOTICAROCKO$17.95CAR136
caribeiner/pulleyDMMREVOLVERWIRE GATE$27.00CAR309
NYLON FOOT STRAP$31.00ASC112
strapdaisy chain48"$22.00CLI901
HELMETPETZLALVEO VENT$105.00SAF174
$1,019.90
[tr][td]ITEM[/td][td]MFG[/td][td]MODEL[/td][td]SIZE/OPTION[/td][td]PRICE[/td][td]WESSPUR P/N[/td][/tr]

Looks like a cool set up. You can get a saddle for $200 less though that will still do the job. I have a $350 glide light, $250 ergovation economy, and a $125 weaver. They really aren't all that different.

Also you don't need the footstrap or the daisy chain strap. I use a CMI foot ascender (about 50 bucks), which I think is a lot easier. On palms however, I typically don't use either. I just pull the rope with RADS and walk up the trunk of the palm. A 200' rope is also unnecessary. A 120' will work fine for Queen palms. I prefer Blaze 11mm.

Anyways, just figuring out ways to save you some money. Have fun!

GRIGRI2-whats it for?
3\8's rope is ok if you have really small hands. Id get a shorter run of 1\2" but that's preference.
Get more carabiners at least 5
scratch the daisy chain
10' lanyard is a little long for palms. (You can always make your own)
Ive had a vented helmet for years but im not getting one the next round. When you really think about it holes in a hard hat aren't smart. Rock climbing its probably not bad. With tree work if a branch with a dead stick hits you in the head the stick gos through the hole into you. Barttlett tree service actually banned them.

I believe theirs a big difference in saddles and I suggest wearing 1 before purchase. I have 4 saddles myself and only run 1. How people even climb in the old style saddles I'll never know. f your doiang mostly palms get a wide back with xtra padding.

Good luck. Don't be disappointed if things aren't just so. I changed climbing stuff 100 times and im still not content.

queen palms

Shoot your line and srt frog style all the way to the top , we do all our palms this way at work :rock:

Later in SO -CAL will try and post some pic later

GRIGRI2-whats it for?
3\8's rope is ok if you have really small hands. Id get a shorter run of 1\2" but that's preference.
Get more carabiners at least 5
10' lanyard is a little long for palms. (You can always make your own)
Ive had a vented helmet for years but im not getting one the next round.
I believe theirs a big difference in saddles and I suggest wearing 1 before purchase. If your doiang mostly palms get a wide back with xtra padding.

The grigri2 is for the RADS set up. I don't have small hands but the max rope Ø on the grigri2 is 11mm!? I'm rationalizing spending this much money by saying that I'm going to save money by doing palms, but in reality, I'd like to climb other things too so I may need the longer lanyard. Plus, since it has the prusik, it's easy to shorten to the desired length, correct?
Good info on the helmet and saddle, just the feedback I was hoping for.
Thanks and keep it coming!

Why don't you listen to Safari, that is how it is done. Your list is interesting.
Jeff

That's pretty much what Im planning except rather than tree frog, I'm looking at work RADS. This was suggested by mikewhite85, post #16. Not too much different but RADS looks like it uses a little less gear.

I have a giri and used to use it but its fallen in the bag of toys. I climb everyday and rarely use anything these techies do. We use a 30' extension ladder if multiple trees are going to be done. The 1st 30' here means your 1\2 way up most trees. Every 3 trees the groundy saves my 90' of humping. Other then that I foot lock up or just climb to the top like a man. Setting up rads after throw balling anb blah blah blah. By then I've been in the tree pruning for 10 min. Ascending is so over rated. Get in the tree and go to work. If you want to climb for fun take your gear to the park for awhile. Don't show up and plan to learn and work at the same time. If you plan on doing lots of palms you have to get the Swedish bands. More work less effort. When starting out the main thing is stay simple. Don't buy a lot of mechanical junk.
Good luck. Find some local palm guys to go watch. See how they do it

Hey n8huntsman, you seem pretty committed on climbing those queen palms. I am in Riverside, I did a weed abatement job in Murrieta today. PM me and I'll safely get you up one of those Queens, I'll show you the RAD's . Nothing like seeing and doing it in person.
I drink Mountain dew, have a couple on Ice(cause its hot out your way)and I will set you up. Seems like the neighborly thing to do.
Wade.

That's pretty much what Im planning except rather than tree frog, I'm looking at work RADS. This was suggested by mikewhite85, post #16. Not too much different but RADS looks like it uses a little less gear.

I'm wondering how things worked out for @n8huntsman . I had the same question, and there was some very good info on this thread. thanks!

Latest posts

Back