Close to buying a LumberMate LM29

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing. Awesome. Hope you have plenty of help.

Did you consider the TK1220?

And you have no qualms using fresh-cut pine here? Guess you're aiming to have everything wrapped up by Thanksgiving? Where's the woodstove going?

[I have relatives in Barnstead NH area ... you anywhere close?]

Thanks for sharing. Awesome. Hope you have plenty of help.

Did you consider the TK1220?

And you have no qualms using fresh-cut pine here? Guess you're aiming to have everything wrapped up by Thanksgiving? Where's the woodstove going?

[I have relatives in Barnstead NH area ... you anywhere close?]

I looked at most all of the entry level mills and thought the Norward was the best bang for the buck.

I've built a number of out-buildings with green lumber and have had no problem. "...wrapped up by Thanksgiving":laugh: I'll be lucky to have the deck on by then; I am doing this with no help. The wind chill today is 24 degrees and it has been raining, now snowing, on the weekends. I still need to cut and build the trusses and unless we have an unusually warm and dry winter, I'm not going to get it done until next summer. At least, I'll be able to cut and skid my logs on the snow.

I live in the Plymouth area of NH. It is north central in the White Mtns.

Hard to build during snow squalls....reports I'm seeing are Pats are playing in blizzard-like conditions? Parents and family up there(yes, I grew up in Maine) are all sitting in front of wood-stoves, enjoying the day. Sometimes just enjoying the day is what it is all about....

A lot of the barns and such that were built down here, were built using 'green' timber. And they are still standing(at least the ones that are somewhat taken care of)! Besides, wasn't aware that White Pine had a huge cellular collapse problem.

Are you going to build and assemble the trusses on the ground and then get a crane(rent) to move them into position?

Scott (just messed up the wifes' nap....****! I'm in trouble) B

Hard to build during snow squalls....reports I'm seeing are Pats are playing in blizzard-like conditions? Parents and family up there(yes, I grew up in Maine) are all sitting in front of wood-stoves, enjoying the day. Sometimes just enjoying the day is what it is all about....

A lot of the barns and such that were built down here, were built using 'green' timber. And they are still standing(at least the ones that are somewhat taken care of)! Besides, wasn't aware that White Pine had a huge cellular collapse problem.

Are you going to build and assemble the trusses on the ground and then get a crane(rent) to move them into position?

Scott (just messed up the wifes' nap....****! I'm in trouble) B
My plan is to build the trusses on the deck, once it is completed, and get them up one way or another.

I won't be back up that way until July(middle)....surely would help in the barn raising.

Scott (plenty of folks here for labor) B

What's with the cellular collapse on pine? I'm trying to find on here who mentioned this? Is this aka, known as soft wood compressing too much?

SDB777 mentioned this when I asked dlabrie if he had any problems building with green wood.

I think the point he was trying to make was that white pine has some of the lowest shrinkage [owing to 'cell collapse', i.e. green wood has water stored a couple of ways]; when I looked it up, I found this to be true.

By the way, placed my order for a Norwood HD36 yesterday; just couldn't get comfortable with the TK1220/company.

SDB777 mentioned this when I asked dlabrie if he had any problems building with green wood.

I think the point he was trying to make was that white pine has some of the lowest shrinkage [owing to 'cell collapse', i.e. green wood has water stored a couple of ways]; when I looked it up, I found this to be true.

By the way, placed my order for a Norwood HD36 yesterday; just couldn't get comfortable with the TK1220/company.

Lucky dog you! :) Now did you go with the HD36 so you could outrig it with full hydraulics someday? That'd be somethin to have. :) you should post pics of the new mill once you get in put into use. Very cool, congrats

Congrats! Post plenty of picts!

At some point I might have time to figure out how to post pictures, but at this time I'm trying to figure out how, when, if I'll get this creature assembled.

Shipment was a few days late; delivery rescheduled twice [30 man-hrs wasted], but finally came at 6:30 pm and yours truly had to muscle 40 boxes weighing 1,900 pounds in the dark ... twice, on and off the trailer I used to move the goods 250 ft to my shop.

Had what I know to be two competent and enthusiastic pals [one's a private commercial pilot who's built his own plane and is now assembling a helicopter and the other a retired machinist with over 40 years of experience] to go along with my 40+ years of 'handyman' experience in commercial building trades.

Long story short ... after Day 1 helping me, they won't be coming back; like me, they're totally frustrated by the instruction's inaccuracies, incompleteness, ambiguities; unfortunately, I have no choice.

So, after the first 20 man-hrs and four calls to the company [50% helpful ... like "yeah, those instructions are wrong" and "yeah, that drawing's not right" and "no, you shouldn't have received two boxes of that ... you'll probably find out later you're missing a box of something"], it's possibly 10% complete ... putting the job at 200 man-hrs.

And for the stories out there that say guys, by themselves, have put this thing together in four days? Dream on. I've gotta question the source of those reviews.

At least the complimentary cap fits ... but for now I'll choose not to wear it in public.

At least the complimentary cap fits ... but for now I'll choose not to wear it in public.

:clap: that made me chuckle, but I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

Hopefully you get things figured out and joys of milling will make up for the tough assembly. This is the Norwood 36HD ? Just wanted to confirm this as I wouldn't expect this from what I've heard of Norwood.

Perhaps you could look on youtube.com and search for some user assembly videos or even search online or on here for a build blog that
could help

Yes, it's an HD36 [with trailer pkg, 23HP upgrade, and log loading kit].

After yesterday [~ 28 man hrs], close to 30% there [at least by the page count of the 250+ page assembly manual.] That's the bed w tracks, dogs, axle, tires, jackstands; I think the light kit's first up today.

The first thing that strikes you, immediately after opening the "Open Me First" box, is the assembly manual. It then hits you like a bolt of lightning why it's not available on-line and why they won't send you one before buying.

Aside from the magnitude of the "degree of breakdown" [haven't actually added up the parts' list, which is spread over 12? pages, but there's got to be over 3,000 pieces], here are the obvious:

[1] they need technical writers badly ... it's obvious no one at Norwood has actually watched someone, who didn't engineer the thing, assemble the HD36 from the manual they provide;

[2] they need a better paint shop; I thought the materials were powder-coated, but not from what I'm seeing ... hope they'll give we a volume discount on a case of "Norwood Orange" spray paint;

[3] the CS people are "pleasant".

After yesterday [~ 28 man hrs], close to 30% there [at least by the page count of the 250+ page assembly manual.] That's the bed w tracks, dogs, axle, tires, jackstands; I think the light kit's first up today.

The first thing that strikes you, immediately after opening the "Open Me First" box, is the assembly manual. It then hits you like a bolt of lightning why it's not available on-line and why they won't send you one before buying.

Aside from the magnitude of the "degree of breakdown" [haven't actually added up the parts' list, which is spread over 12? pages, but there's got to be over 3,000 pieces], here are the obvious:

[1] they need technical writers badly ... it's obvious no one at Norwood has actually watched someone, who didn't engineer the thing, assemble the HD36 from the manual they provide;

[2] they need a better paint shop; I thought the materials were powder-coated, but not from what I'm seeing ... hope they'll give we a volume discount on a case of "Norwood Orange" spray paint;

You probably have been there, but just in case, The Norwood Connect forum has a lot of knowledgeable, friendly folks that can answer a lot of your questions.

Wow, 250 pg manual is crazy. You've got to wonder what they'd charge for an assembly fee for guys that could do a local pickup. I'm actually not too far from the factory. Sure is a shame it's a pain to assemble, for the price these things sell for.

Wow guess you never played with Lego growing up. The last thing they need are technical writers, then nobody could assemble the darn things. I assembled my ML26 in 7 hours start to finish.

I have helped assemble an HD36, its not rocket science.

Thanks for your insight. Sorry you don't know what a "technical writer" does.

And, I needed half of your seven hours assembly time just to re-tap every "painted in" hole!

Any updates on your work? Hope you've been enjoying the mill and having some good weather. :)

Back