Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Weather Wedge

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by bnmc98, Jan 11, 2017.

1. bnmc98

bnmc98 ArboristSite Guru

Probably been posted before, but...

What wedges do you guys use for super cold days?

I have some of those generics from Baileys and have been grenading them.

Been cutting frozen spruce and they just shatter in 0 degree weather.:mad:

2. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

all that I am using any more are the orange ones sold at the husky dealer ... tried the mean green wedges from china (2 for 5.00) and sorry I wasted a good burger dollar! only good for door stops or a wobbly window in the old wood truck! anyways the husky brand for the 8" are a decent 10.00 bill .

bnmc98 likes this.
  3. northmanlogging

northmanlogging The gyppo's gyppo

K+H red heads, never had a problem at least into the low teens, or ever really... except gnawing the ends off em...

I've heard that the magnesium wedges are good for cold weather

I stopped buying cheap wedges, go through 3 fer every expensive one

4. bnmc98

bnmc98 ArboristSite Guru

I don't mind paying a little more if they last. I've had mine over three years now and am down to the last one so I need to order some newbies.
    I may actually have some smaller ones like you described, but my large ones and the green chinas probably.

5. bitzer

bitzer Bullshit Timber Expert

The textured Double Taper brand are good. Also the blue ones from Madsens. They are made by Double Taper too. K&hs are fine as well. Yeah the generics get sorted out quickly when it gets cold. Also don't use hard heads. The extra weight on the back makes them pop out every time.

6. Westboastfaller

Westboastfaller Addicted to ArboristSite

There is a lot of crap out there. I run K&H 10" & 12" strickly. It doesn't matter if I'm on the coast or 40 below in the north interior. I did notice a bit of difference this past December in -30 C with the 10" poping out on a few trees so I had to rough up the bottom few inches with my saw. I never had to do that before. I like them because they don't have so much drag like caulked and heavely textured ones. If you keep a pristine 12" and drive it parellel with your chain (sideways ) you can get out if the tree sits back on your chain with as little as 3/4" of room. 10" is not quite as good for that. Some of those generic one with caulks are so slippery that you can't even get them far enough to set the caulks.

7. bnmc98

bnmc98 ArboristSite Guru

Thanks guys

8. brittontblack

brittontblack New Member

Hey guys. First post im from NC. Been working in Forestry in Switzerland for the last 4 years. When its real cold here we us alu wedges... if its not too cold you can use the saw to heat up the alu of its real cold we make a fire to hold them in for a while. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk