Cold Weather Wedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmc98

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Probably been posted before, but...

What wedges do you guys use for super cold days?

I have some of those generics from Baileys and have been grenading them.

Been cutting frozen spruce and they just shatter in 0 degree weather.:mad:

all that I am using any more are the orange ones sold at the husky dealer ... tried the mean green wedges from china (2 for 5.00) and sorry I wasted a good burger dollar! only good for door stops or a wobbly window in the old wood truck! anyways the husky brand for the 8" are a decent 10.00 bill .

I don't mind paying a little more if they last. I've had mine over three years now and am down to the last one so I need to order some newbies.
I may actually have some smaller ones like you described, but my large ones and the green chinas probably.

The textured Double Taper brand are good. Also the blue ones from Madsens. They are made by Double Taper too. K&hs are fine as well. Yeah the generics get sorted out quickly when it gets cold. Also don't use hard heads. The extra weight on the back makes them pop out every time.

There is a lot of crap out there. I run K&H 10" & 12" strickly. It doesn't matter if I'm on the coast or 40 below in the north interior. I did notice a bit of difference this past December in -30 C with the 10" poping out on a few trees so I had to rough up the bottom few inches with my saw. I never had to do that before. I like them because they don't have so much drag like caulked and heavely textured ones. If you keep a pristine 12" and drive it parellel with your chain (sideways ) you can get out if the tree sits back on your chain with as little as 3/4" of room. 10" is not quite as good for that. Some of those generic one with caulks are so slippery that you can't even get them far enough to set the caulks.

Hey guys. First post im from NC. Been working in Forestry in Switzerland for the last 4 years. When its real cold here we us alu wedges... if its not too cold you can use the saw to heat up the alu of its real cold we make a fire to hold them in for a while. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back