Combat Veteran getting back to work help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.Co181Inf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been a member here for a number of years, and am hoping my story hits the right people. Im a combat Veteran, I served 17 years in the Amy, did a combat Tour with n Infantry unit Baghdad,Iraq from 2007-2008. When I came home, things were fine, at first. After a few months, I realized things weren't all right, I couldn't handle people, work, my kids, my wife, life. I didn't realize it, but PTSD was hitting me hard. I was really angry, depressed. My wife told me I had to get help, so I went to the VA and talked to someone, eventually I had an evaluation and was given a 70% disability rating just for PTSD. One day i needed a very dead Willow tree taken down in my yard, I hired a local guy who climbed it...it was awesome to watch, I was inspired like never before, I was hooked. that night I started doing research, videos on YouTube, books, ********, arboristsite, etc... I couldn't get enough. I bought some starting gear, and started low and slow. Someone asked me to take a tree down for them, I had no idea what to charge ( sometimes I still don't ) I started doing the work more and more along side what regular work I could hold down. It was like therapy, I felt normal again, free. I don't know if it's the risk factor or not, ut I loved it. I continued to struggle with regular full time work and went through over 10 jobs in a few years, but the tree work was there, nights, weekends, etc.. I just couldn't get to it full time. In 2013, PTSD got the better of me and I just didn't want to deal with anything, I had to sell all of my gear and equipment to pay the bills, it really sucked and was a low pint for sure. Everyone told me not to, but my mind was a mess. Well, after a bunch of therapy, and Meds, I was talked into doing a tree for a friend, I have a VERY basic saddle and crappy spurs, and a lanyard I made, but I got it down, I was hooked again, even though I was really out of shape, I felt great again....

So here I am, I NEED to do this work full time, for my sanity and health. I have managed to scrape together a few basics and did some work in trade for the little stuff, but I'm short on the stuff I need to compete, at least a dump trailer, I have a standing deal on a decent diesel chipper, and the miscellaneous gear to do it all right. I've been getting calls from my old Ad, and have plenty of friends and family that need work, I have some connections to get some work, but I need advertising as well. So, here's what I did, I started a crowdfunding page to help raise money. It was a suggestion by a small business administration, and a friend. it's a new era, and I don't want to leave any stone unturned. I know there's a lot of great people who like to help Veterans. I was also told by a couple members on here, that I should share it here because we are such a tight knit community and have/ will help each other out, that's what I'm counting on. I'm sharing my link, and terrible video, in hopes of getting donations. I'm sure there's going to be some Jackasses that give me crap, there always is, but I have to make this work, for my self, and my family. Thanks for your time, I know this was long. Please spread the word, share the link, help if you can.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/combat-veteran-starting-tree-business/x/15271483#/

Back