Combined gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Howdy,

I do a bit of tree climbing for my business, so I have very limited climbing equipment - 1 climbing rope, 1 unicender with a foot ascender, 1 hand ascender I've never even used, (and then a few work items for rigging and lowering branches - bull rope, other non-climbing ropes, pulleys, port-a-wrap, carabiners, etc).

Here's my question: one of my (many) kids has expressed an interest in doing some rappelling for her birthday, and I thought I could get a Figure 8 descender and a decent rope that would work well for both climbing and rappelling, since I don't expect that we will be doing this very often and I wouldn't mind another (longer) climbing rope. (I'd also have to buy another harness).

Do you have any recommendations for a proper rope (my unicender is for 1/2"), and if the Figure 8 is a decent option for this? The unicender is simple enough for a child to use, but I'd like to use it so I can be next to them to coach/help. (Yes, I know there needs to be a person on the ground to pull the rope if they start to fall).

Thanks in advance!

If you buy a Figure 8, get the "Rescue-8" style which has two ears which prevent the rope from girth hitching. Be sure to provide instruction on how to soft- and hard-lock the Rescue-8, and practice it close to the ground ... that sudden small drop when unlocking could startle a new user (it did me). A universal-fit rock climbing harness would most likely suffice and is not expensive. I bought one for teaching newbies the basics. Making a rope suggestion may open a can of worms like the discussions of Stihl versus Husqvarna, but the only 1/2" (13mm) rope I've used for life support duty is Samson Arbormaster. TreeStuff is where I buy mine.

I've used a Tiny Giant ladder which I configure into a 12' tall stepladder beneath a tree limb when I introduce someone to rappelling. Start them on the ground, then move up one rung, then two, etc. ... moving up each step only when they feel comfortable and when I see they're manipulating the rope correctly.

Thanks for the advice. Picked up a couple figure 8's at the local alpine shop - they weren't rescue 8's, though. They didn't have any of those.

For climbing harnesses, I'm using webbing loops which I usually use for lowering limbs. Some are long enough for a complete harness, and some are small enough to do one on the waist and one on the legs. Works great, and didn't have to pay anything.

Picked up a 12.5 mm rope. Like it a lot - better than my other rope, which is somewhat bigger. This fits my unicender much better, but my kids like rappelling with the old rope better.

Thanks for the tip about the ladder. Set that up and got them going, and they kept climbing and rappelling, climbing and rappelling. I even had my 6 year old out there! They all loved it!

I have never seen an 8 get girth hitched but I can see how it could happen. You really should be using two ropes Unc. One that the rapeller uses and the one on belay. Tree rope is fine for rapelling. I think its amazing and good you have your family out there. Quite a hearty bunch!

If you buy a Figure 8, get the "Rescue-8" style which has two ears which prevent the rope from girth hitching. Be sure to provide instruction on how to soft- and hard-lock the Rescue-8, and practice it close to the ground ... that sudden small drop when unlocking could startle a new user (it did me). A universal-fit rock climbing harness would most likely suffice and is not expensive. I bought one for teaching newbies the basics. Making a rope suggestion may open a can of worms like the discussions of Stihl versus Husqvarna, but the only 1/2" (13mm) rope I've used for life support duty is Samson Arbormaster. TreeStuff is where I buy mine.

I've used a Tiny Giant ladder which I configure into a 12' tall stepladder beneath a tree limb when I introduce someone to rappelling. Start them on the ground, then move up one rung, then two, etc. ... moving up each step only when they feel comfortable and when I see they're manipulating the rope correctly.

Oh crap! I guess I have been doing it wrong. We would just send em over the cliff! You should have seen the one kid, he let go, the guy on belay wasn't expecting it...

And if you are using smaller ropes then you may want to try an ATC ( air traffic controller) they do not twist the rope.

Also, you aren't on belay by holding the end of the rappel rope are you? That kinda works but is not good.

Yeah it sounds like you are using only one rope and relying on holding the tail of it as a belay. WRONG! DANGEROUS! DO NOT DO!

If anything went wrong you'd be about helpless to do anything. With another rope just for belay you can get to them and get them down quick no problem. Doing it with one rope is for people who have a lot of experience and that still leaves a lot of noses open.

Back