Compression and bearing failure.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELECT6845

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Do you believe compression kills the bottom end? Or is it cheap oil, cheap bearings, or lack of maintenance? I really have a hard time believing compression kills. A lot of saw have been built with 185 or more on compression and I haven't seen anyone complaining that they lost bottom ends. I'm sure some have went down but after how many hours? Also what was the bearing that failed? Crank bearings or rod bearing?

A wise old mechanic once told me it's near impossible to have ultimate performance and ultimate durability. Over the long term building that much compression has to take its toll on the bottom end. But like you mentioned I think cheapo bearings, crap oil and lack of maintenance are more prone to causing catastrophic failures.

Plus the fun factor resulting from the boost in compression is so worth the risk!

More than 50:1 mix is cheap insurance AND there has been plenty of evidence posted that more oil gives improved performance and longevity.
Come on now man what are you say , the factories dont know , the chemical laboratories dont know, the farmers and the cowboys with theirs homemade experiments and theirs ebay grinders know better.

Come on now man what are you say , the factories dont know , the chemical laboratories dont know, the farmers and the cowboys with theirs homemade experiments and theirs ebay grinders know better.
EPA forces them to do this it ain't no good.Look what they did to the gasoline.

if you talking about the ethanol its a worldwide phenomen, no i speak for theese pross who before a month was carpenters, and farmers and in one night will change to a M.I.T proffesors

Just pull the top end off any saw at 50:1 and whip the oil off the crank bearings. GOOD LUCK

Do you believe compression kills the bottom end? Or is it cheap oil, cheap bearings, or lack of maintenance? I really have a hard time believing compression kills. A lot of saw have been built with 185 or more on compression and I haven't seen anyone complaining that they lost bottom ends. I'm sure some have went down but after how many hours? Also what was the bearing that failed? Crank bearings or rod bearing?
Did you have a bearing fail on yours?

Latest posts

Back