Contract climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I'm starting to contract climb for a company in my area so I can fill in days I don't have my own work to do.
The company is run by a real old school climber who still runs a blakes hitch on a closed system ddrt. All in all he's a great guy with a lot of knowledge about trees ( ISA and TRAQ) Certified. And I feel we can learn a lot from each other.

Any tips for me when I climb for him? I've never really worked for another company like this before.

We've already agreed upon a rate but I want to hear your opinion on what's a fair amount. I provide my own climbing gear, 201t, rigging only if I choose, and liability/ workmans comp

Good question. How about charging your regular rate for climbing per hour minus the equipment costs you usually have to charge for your jobs. Don't forget to add in the travel time. If that doesn't make sense, I've had too many beers tonight.

*I'd not worry about his climbing system (as long as it is a "standard" and acceptable/safe system) and ask the same from him about yours.

*Realize it is his job site and learn how he wants things done. Work with that if it is not unreasonable...you want him to have you back again, right? If he asks you to do something that you think is gonna get your hurt, don't be afraid to express your concerns. If he can't ease those and still expects you to do the climb, you don't want him to have you back, right(?) so refuse it and be on your way. Not that I expect that to happen - but I'm just saying do it his way unless it is going to lead to an injury.

*Why is he having you climb for him? Is he a one man show too? You doing removals, pruning, or both for him? How many days per week or month is he going to be using your help?

*I don't know about your skills/experience/knowledge, etc...but if you are decent, I'd think you are selling yourself short at anything less than $50/hour...2x that isn't out of the question if you are in the right market and are uniquely qualified.

I'm a good climber for my experience ( coming from him) . This is only my 2nd year climbing. I have a good amount of knowledge as far as proper pruning, hazard identification, knots, rigging, climbing, etc. goes. I am climbing for him because he is starting to get older and wants to take some of the load off himself, so he can continue to climb when he wants to fit many years. He is not a one man show but he is a small 1 crew outfit. I will be doing mostly large prunes for him but removals as well. At the moment I am doing it once a week due to my availability but he said he could use me probably up to 3 times a week if I wanted.

If your working for him on a part time basis as a contractor/employee thats one thing. But if your being contracted to do specific difficult jobs and using your liability insurance you should charge by the job or a hourly wage you'd charge in figuring out your own job, less clean up and all.
I've done both. Some companies I work on their payroll for a above average hourly rate. They use me when their short handed or need my help. Others use me for jobs that might be out of their league or their climbers abilitys. Or potential liability if something goes wrong. I charge as much as I thing I can get a way with. Don't sell yourself short but take everything into consideration.

From my experience, working with an old school climber (if he is from the older generation of climbers ) he's got his way he wants it done. If you're a talented climber then the guy you're working for should be able two relay to you what he wants done without a problem. I would have to agree with ATH. Bear in mind you're working on his job site and if you're contracted for climbing (It's usually the normal to bring your own gear not necessarily a saw) and depending on how much work you plan to get from the gentleman is really what Defines what kind of pay rate you want to be contracted in. I would try and get what you can from it with no less than 25 an hour, or by the job in the realm of that pay rate. Just a suggestion, before you ever go on the clock for him have everything you guys agree on signed on paper for your sake.
Good luck hand climb safe.

Thanks guys. I think our deal is very fair for the both of us. I'm climbing for him again this week to do a remvocal and a few prunes. Should be fun! Last week was an easy day of simple dead ash removals. Real crispy ones though, pulled a few down with the tag line!

Make sure you don't compromise the integrity of the Rope or line if you plan to use the tagline for your lifeline. I prefer to keep my lifeline's separate considering there very expensive by the Foot. Dried and brittle trees are easy to be pulled down with your taglines or any other half inch rope although trees and branches in that state can be very unpredictable especially under bent pressure.

Lol oh ok. It's not that much different if you're climbing. I currently reside in Florida at the moment because of my aging folks but I have found quite a bit at work down here as a result. I'm not to sure how much longer it's going to last or how much longer I'm going to be here in FL. but is good at the moment.

2 years climbing can be 2 years 40 plus hours per week or 10 hours per week. I'm not trying to be a donkey but your still a greenhorn if its the latter! I know you studied a bit asked questions etc., so that is good but your still a green horn. Here a top rate climber gets 250.00 a day usually 5 to 6 hours. I would say your probably a decent climber; really it is up to you and him on price. If your worth more than he wants to pay, then you must decide weather the learning and full schedule is worth a bit less than your desired pay if that makes any sense?

2 years climbing can be 2 years 40 plus hours per week or 10 hours per week. I'm not trying to be a donkey but your still a greenhorn if its the latter! I know you studied a bit asked questions etc., so that is good but your still a green horn. Here a top rate climber gets 250.00 a day usually 5 to 6 hours. I would say your probably a decent climber; really it is up to you and him on price. If your worth more than he wants to pay, then you must decide weather the learning and full schedule is worth a bit less than your desired pay if that makes any sense?
I definitely don't climb full time but I'm usually around 20-30 hours climbing every week . $250/day for a top rate climber seems low if you're contracting to me. Then again I'm also in New Jersey and you're in Arkansas.

I definitely don't climb full time but I'm usually around 20-30 hours climbing every week . $250/day for a top rate climber seems low if you're contracting to me. Then again I'm also in New Jersey and you're in Arkansas.
True that, I think it's low as well; which is why I never do much of it :p Here labor even skilled is way too cheap. 2 years 20 to 30 hours is better but your still a green horn. I climbed 40 plus my first 5 years and to be honest it takes about 5 years to be a journeyman. In 5 years full time you will have been in almost every predicament at least once but even after that some surprises pop up. Then after 30 years you start going the other way it sometimes seems. You look at a tree fully knowing what to do and estimating the time its going to take back when you were forty:yes: Then you get in the tree and think wow I remember when this crap was easy, oh my a realization takes place and for just one moment you admit you might be getting older:surprised3: Gone are the days of:muscle::laugh:

250.$ a day is good pay but it depends on location also. I made that and more in Montana but that was over a year ago and since have moved due to personal reasons but am now in Florida. That pay I was making up north is next to impossible to make down here. Unless you're well established with a good tree company. It's not impossible but very very hard to find work here to support that pay rate. Plus you have all these idiots out here that do it for next to nothing and think there God's gift to tree climbers . Regardless you're only worth what people are willing to pay sadly because most people will go with a very low bid or somebody that has underbid you not conscious of what you're going to get from someone who is either going to cause property damage kill themselves or somebody else because you don't get a second chance in this line of work, you got one chance to do it right if you mess up you're dead.

True that, I think it's low as well; which is why I never do much of it :p Here labor even skilled is way too cheap. 2 years 20 to 30 hours is better but your still a green horn. I climbed 40 plus my first 5 years and to be honest it takes about 5 years to be a journeyman. In 5 years full time you will have been in almost every predicament at least once but even after that some surprises pop up. Then after 30 years you start going the other way it sometimes seems. You look at a tree fully knowing what to do and estimating the time its going to take back when you were forty:yes: Then you get in the tree and think wow I remember when this crap was easy, oh my a realization takes place and for just one moment you admit you might be getting older:surprised3: Gone are the days of:muscle::laugh:

Reminds me of the saying, "The older I get, the faster I climbed".

I charge €150 a Day for local contract work and €200 per Day if theirs more than an hours drive to the job. I have all my own gear, saws and insurance. I just need fuel, two stroke oil and chain oil to be provided. I'm a novice by the way.

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Back