Contract Pay Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey guys. Got a question, got a lady that I'm gonna be cutting a tract for(I think). Anyhow she wants some money up front at signing of contract, no big deal, she wants to sign the contract this week. However she leased her land out for hunting season which last until Jan. 8th, so she wont let me start cutting until then. So should I lay out the money 3 months before I can cut??? Never ran into this before lol so any help I can get im happy for. Thanks

Make sure you get a signed an agreement with with her stipulating what happens if she backs out. Something like immediate repayment in cash or you start cutting and what area you will be cutting. Get GPS points or marked survey stakes. Take pics as well.
Find out if you can put a lien on the property if things go bad.
You don't want to scare her off but don't get screwed.

My 2 cents.

Put money down prior start of cutting. Like a day or two. If shes not ok with that she can shop around. If you explain to her you can't float money for months and months I would think she would be reasonable. If not you might be in for other troubles. How big is the job? I've cut woods on one side with hunters on the other. I often push deer to them. Sometimes hard to explain that to the hunters tho.

Wettest year I can remember. I'm cutting a job in the extreme SE part of the state that did have a drought though. Otherwise I worked hills all summer close to home and it was tough going with rain twice a week.

I simply don't work like that, I'm sure I could get loads more jobs by paying a little in advance, I'm also sure I would lose my ass if they decided to keep the money and not cut it, or a permit isdue, or weather...

If thats how ya wanna work a deal at least get a contract with some kind of guarantee. They bail on you they pay back the down payment plus 50% or more.

you bail on them they keep the down payment...

its really more of a scare tactic but it works

Latest posts

Back