controversial dead ash removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the censorship, Daniel?

An inexpensive helmet cam would add a lot to your videos. Keep up the good work.

its a secret cut... Its a cut I came up with kinda by accident... works well... it needs to be properly introduced and taught to be done safely.. I don't want some yahoo seeing it on youtube and trying to immitate it and get themselves hurt or killed... Not going to put it out on the forums either. Sorry... be patient...

its a secret cut... Its a cut I came up with kinda by accident... works well... it needs to be properly introduced and taught to be done safely.. I don't want some yahoo seeing it on youtube and trying to immitate it and get themselves hurt or killed... Not going to put it out on the forums either. Sorry... be patient...

I love secrets...do tell ;)

horseschit

Definitely squirrels but you took un-necessary risk of having those limbs catapulted back toward you. I really don't know why you did not just climb up and bomb those limbs out then block down the wood. I would have and been done just as fast too. That tree would have easily held to bomb it likely would have even withstood rigging. Cutting it there too many things can go wrong imo.
PS: as for your cut, I doubt it is like we have not done it, or is so authentic it qualifies for top secret:rolleyes: I guess thrashing the other trees creates job security too. Nice job with the ppe:cheers:

Last edited:
Definitely squirrels but you took un-necessary risk of having those limbs catapulted back toward you. I really don't know why you did not just climb up and bomb those limbs out then block down the wood. I would have and been done just as fast too. That tree would have easily held to bomb it likely would have even withstood rigging. Cutting it there too many things can go wrong imo.
PS: as for your cut, I doubt it is like we have not done it, or is so authentic it qualifies for top secret:rolleyes: I guess thrashing the other trees creates job security too. Nice job with the ppe:cheers:

im with rope most of us cut trees on a daily basis and if anyone gets killed its not because you made a youtube video.

if you got something that you think could help productivity and saftey do tell.

heres what I wrote last night on another forum

this was to Jerry B

I'd like to talk about your points..
You refered to the dead ash top no doubt, when you said "collisions aside".. I would have never done that tree like that if I hadn't read "Fundamentals".. but that is another story. And that is one of two large tops I have ever taken that could have touched another tree on the way down.

I cahnged plans after I got into the tree. I had misjudged the lean of the top from the ground.. So I had a choice.. go with plan B or I'd have to come down, go back to the truck, which was a distance, get the big shot etc.. Only possible crotches to use were 95-100' in a large leaning top with really tight crotches.. I could make the shot, but probably would have a hard time setting a rope.

And then what? if I went much higher in the ash, I wouldn't have the front lean needed to insure the top would go.. On a hill, track machine was no good to pull with, turf tracks.. pulling by hand would have been ugly, only way out of the DZ would have meant getting to the other side of a huge patch of 5' junipers... so with no pull line I'd have to wreck the tree. DID NOT WANT to do that.. Nasty tree, fat out of shape climber, high tie in or not, it was best to drop it with the lean.

You'd have had to been in the tree to see the exact placement of branches on both trees. No way to tell from the video. It was 100% clear.. no contact with anything except small branch tips, until the piece was going near horizontal.. NO CHANCE that top was coming back on me wether it broke or not... the only danger was that the oak would throw a piece of ash back at me. It would have to be a real freak thing, where the oak acted like a catapult.. it was so far away and the piece was going to be so low, nearly level with me, by the time serious contact happned. And the ash was soooo dead and white oak is sooooo strong, it was clear the top was going to explode, rather than springload the oak. Only one small branch, maybe 3" diameter broke out of the oak, whcih surprised me.. That was a big top, and I thought I might have to prune any damage on the oak

Daniel I was talking cutting the limbs separate 1, 2, 3 but it sounds like you thought of the possibles and was reasonably certain the top was not coming back at you. Anyway; I likely would have climbed on up and had my feet in the crotch and bombed those three limbs, then repelled and cut the rest but you were there.

Last edited:
" To tell you the truth, I am little scared right now."

Daniel Murphy

" No ####!"

The Dan

Does anybody else just find that preciously hilarious or is it just me?
Don't worry Dan, I am rootin for for ya.:clap:

brutal

i can't believe you call this a "secret" technique and you actually went out of your way to put little black boxes over it. mind blowing. if anything you were hiding how unbelievably poor your technique was. you totally smashed up the tree next to it. this profession is a blend of knowledge, skill and creativity. you possess none of these

Got the job done!I wouldn't take Jerry B's word any more than a used car salesman.

Mulphy is no one trick pony thats for sure.:clap:

MB needs a crane for anything over 30'

Daniel for the sake of all tree humanity please remove the censored bar in your video , please allow others to also transcend to your exceptional tree removal status.. And if you have reinvented the wheel than why hide it be proud and educate all of us..

Back