converting tracked ATV to hydro drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used her extensively the past few days to skid logs and haul firewood.

I added a 2,000 pound winch with roller fairleed to the rear. I use this to skid logs to the machine. This winch setup works out real nice.

There is an unbelievable amount of firewood on the ground. It's also amazing how deep the snow was and how many trees I was unknowingly running over on a regular basis. Most of the snow in the swamp has melted but the ground is still mostly frozen. Soon it will be too wet and muddy to drive on, even with a tracked machine.

I need to find a bigger engine!

I want to put up 10 full cord of firewood this summer.
Good Work! I admire your ingenuity. Just make sure you post more pics and vids of the honeybadger in action!

So you got the engine yesterday, and installed it tonight? Right???

That is correct.

Unfortunately the engine and pumps are installed in a temporary fashion above the drive motors. This has allowed me to test and modify the hydro drive motors, chains, and sprockets. This setup is great for expirementation but is not practical as it actually prevents the operator from seeing what is in front of them.

Tonight I installed the new engine and took it for a test run. 17hp seems to be a good match for the hydro system. I was not able to stall the engine but under peak load I was able to really make it work.

I'm very pleased with its operation and hope to make good progress installing the engine and pumps into their new permenant location tomorrow morning. With a little luck everything will fit under the hood!

Stay tuned for photos and video.

Weatherman says we might have snow by tomorrow. While honey badger is supposedly an all terrain vehicle, it is best suited for snow.

Ever seen how a sport four wheeler is setup? Nothing used on the "foward" side, id worry about the tension on that idler under load.

Ever seen how a sport four wheeler is setup? Nothing used on the "foward" side, id worry about the tension on that idler under load.

Perhaps not the best photo, but the idler is spring loaded and really only removes the slack from the non working side of the chain, it moves up/down based on how much tension is required and is not directly taking any of the load being applied to the drive sprockets.

So how soon with she be road worthy?

I moved her out of the garage under her own power tonight. I have just a few quick modifications to hopefully finish in the morning.....then I have no more time for the next day or three.

About the only "big" project is moving the hydraulic reservoir and getting the hood back on the machine....and making some "tank steering levers"...and finishing the electrical.

Ok, there's lots of work left to do!

I'm hesitant to post photos of this work in progress because sometimes research and expirementation is ugly and not everybody understands.

Here is an early photo from the night I first installed the new engine. As you can see, the "power pack" consisting of the engine and hydro pumps is basically a commercial walk behind mower set on top of the honey badger. It's ugly, but Has allowed me to test and modify the hydro motors ,chains, sprockets, which have not really needed many changes other than idler sprockets.

image.jpg

Here, without the engine you can see the power pack is mounted high above the drive motors. It is too wide to fit down into the body of the badger.

image.jpg

So I cut the power pack to fit and lowered it into it's more permanent location. Obviously the wooden 2x4 was replaced with metal

image.jpg

Obviously the hydro reservoir and other bits of metal still need to be relocated, but things have been lowered enough that the operator can see over the engine while driving.

image.jpg

Here it is with the engine installed.

image.jpg

Back