Cop at my door

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
One of 'Mascoutah's Finest' knocked on my door last night. No one likes to see a cop at their door, but he asked me if I owned a certain house down the street. A big limb from a tree fell off and was lying partially in the street.

Now for the quiz - What kind of tree is this?

IMG_0311.JPG IMG_0310.JPG IMG_0307.JPG IMG_0308.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

Wow I have never seen a butternut tree that big.

Looks like a hickory

I cut a big one down back in 77. Using Home xl something with at 24" bar. Bar did not reach all the way through.
Hit a nail just when I was approaching the time for it to fall. Chewed through it and then examined what I hit. A 16penny nail that had been driven in when it was a sapling. Not much left of it but it died while taking out a chain.

Harry K

Sometimes branches break. Gravity will do that. If its in full leaf with the added weight of the nuts, it can happen. One picture looks like there might be some decay at the break point.

unclemoustache,

Looks like white walnut to me.
Smells like sweet hickory cutting it and it's a wonderful smoking wood, not so great on the btu charts a bit less than silver maple.

Do you get the feeling even the authorities know you are the man to visit for tree problems ? LOL
Yes. We call it Butternut in Murderland, Juglans cinerea.

I dont think we have those trees here in Alabama....
How do they compare to Pecan??
Pecans will drop large limbs when they are loaded with green nuts.

David

DFK,

I have burnt both although only very limited pecan given to me from a friend.

Pecan is great smoking wood and high btu wood.
Pecan has quite a range of things that can be smoked with it.

White walnut IMO is one of the best smoking woods but as firewood quite poor.
White walnut adds a hickory taste to things but almost a sweet hickory taste.
Limiting it to things that are best with a hickory sort of taste.
Pork anything and white walnut smoke are as good as pork can be. :)

White walnut is pretty rare in NA, another one of those oops imported blight disasters.
Seems to be a theme with chestnut, elm, ash, pine Etc.
Pretty big cost for imported dollar store items and cheap things flooding in with infected pallets from all over the place IMO.

Back