Cord prices falling like dominoes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, it's a combination of natural gas and electric prices. House isn't as insulated/air tight as it should be, but there's no point in going to the expense of fixing it, there are too many other nitpicking things wrong. Although if I can swing a deal on getting a company out here to do a leakage test and fix the air leaks, I'll do it.

The wood is in the woods on the property, so it's not like I have to buy truckloads of wood. 5-6 cords a year will do it for me, and it's probably closer to 4-5 cords when burning 2 year old seasoned Oak.

i don't cut/sell much wood but i get 250.00 cord for 1 cord of burr oak split and seasoned.
some complain thats too high but for the small amount i do, it all gets sold

Are you using the bur oak for smoker wood or just as fuel?

Slow smoking just takes too long, so I use it for grilling more then anything. Though it grows well here, it's not as common as other oaks. I would say burr oak is as close to post oak as you can get. There both very similar.
I don't get enough of it to just burn as firewood. Post oak is much more common around here.

I've noticed on Craig's list here in SE Michigan that the prices for face cords earlier in the winter were $75 range. Now they are more like $55 range. If they get cheap enough, I might even get into the market. New member btw

The market is fine here prices remain normal. Truly seasoned wood that was split 2 years ago is at a premium.

Nobody I know is looking at the oil prices or energy prices and making changes from wood back to oil, gas or electricity. Everyone knows these prices will not stay this way for long. Just wait until the election or the knucklehead in the whitehouse adds the tax per barrel......

I've never had a problem selling the wood I process for the prices I ask. Never. My problem is getting enough of a supply to expand my business.

Slow smoking just takes too long, so I use it for grilling more then anything. Though it grows well here, it's not as common as other oaks. I would say burr oak is as close to post oak as you can get. There both very similar.
I don't get enough of it to just burn as firewood. Post oak is much more common around here.
Bur is the most common oak in my wood lot so I really wanted to know its best use. I have enough standing that I could burn nothing else but I think I would prefer to use up my ash right now due to the EAB.

Back