Cork maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
by spinners do you mean that the "ring" that drives the calk is spinning, or the nut inside the boot is spinning?

If its the ring, I've taken a dremel to the fat part of the spike and created flats to get em out, usually works.

Also why I've stopped even considering buying the Phillips "tool steel" junk, that 2 piece design makes em cheap, but its a **** design from the get go.

Finding champ calks has gotten tough though, not sure why.

Never seen them called corks. Pronounced that way but spelled "caulk".

Not common here, but neither is logging.

I had a set of caulks for a while. Sold them though, I'm in and out of equipment all day and steel on steel is slippery, both on equipment decks/floors and the controls.

old mud flaps do wonders, or just get over it one of the two

Never heard em called corks huh?

You caught me while I was re-writing it.

It'd be a pain to put mud flaps on everything! My buddy who I work with just wears tennis shoes. I dunno! I have always wore steel toe boots.

I sold the caulks to a guy that does a lot of ice fishing. He says he never falls down now!

Spinners happen but you can reduce them by using some anti-seize on the cork threads before installing. It's a bit of a pain but it actually helps to do this to brand new boot before using them in the woods. YMMV

wood's is kinda local, though i shouldn't ever go in there... Madsens delivers so thats an option

Been having luck at a clothes shop called Oliver-Hammer out of Sedro Woolley, they custom fit Vibergs, Whites and Wesco's there as well, Nearly as dangerous as Wood's and only like 3 blocks away... with a wretchedly awesome little diner called the Iron Skillet across from Wood's... makes for a good day out...

Not to mention the Talkie Tooter folks are right around the corner. Rothenbueller Engineering (sp?)

by spinners do you mean that the "ring" that drives the calk is spinning, or the nut inside the boot is spinning?

If its the ring, I've taken a dremel to the fat part of the spike and created flats to get em out, usually works.

Also why I've stopped even considering buying the Phillips "tool steel" junk, that 2 piece design makes em cheap, but its a **** design from the get go.

Finding champ calks has gotten tough though, not sure why.
The nut inside the sole just spins. First time changing spikes on these boots. I ran them from March last year til December and then again from March til now. Usually I get em that won't spin out after a few changes. I've been much better then I used to be about not walking on concrete, gravel, etc and just plain take better care of em. It was not unusual for me to have to change them midway through summer. When I order from Madsens these are what they send me. They have Their name on em. I've had the champs too although I didn't really notice the difference. They all wear out too quickly in my opinion. The boots too. I threw two screws in each boot in spots where the sole is separating.

Here's a fun fact- as far as I know I'm the only logger that currently wears calks in Wisconsin that I know of. I was in the western part of the state which is pretty hilly and i thought for sure these guys do with these hills. Nope. I told them once you wear them you will never cut without em again.

When I order from Madsens these are what they send me. They have Their name on em. I've had the champs too although I didn't really notice the difference.
Pretty sure they're the same except the stamp.

wood's is kinda local, though i shouldn't ever go in there... Madsens delivers so thats an option

Both are good outfits. Woods is my go-to for work now because they're the only one that plays nice with goobermment purchasing nonsense. I have them ship to the Longview store and then pick up myself. I have them ship south so I don't have to drive through Seattle twice.

The nut inside the sole just spins. First time changing spikes on these boots. I ran them from March last year til December and then again from March til now. Usually I get em that won't spin out after a few changes. I've been much better then I used to be about not walking on concrete, gravel, etc and just plain take better care of em. It was not unusual for me to have to change them midway through summer. When I order from Madsens these are what they send me. They have Their name on em. I've had the champs too although I didn't really notice the difference. They all wear out too quickly in my opinion. The boots too. I threw two screws in each boot in spots where the sole is separating.

well thats just ******, I've had em get stuck but the nuts always stay put... perhaps a poke from the side with something sharp?

Both are good outfits. Woods is my go-to for work now because they're the only one that plays nice with goobermment purchasing nonsense. I have them ship to the Longview store and then pick up myself. I have them ship south so I don't have to drive through Seattle twice.

Champ from what I hear stamps em with Hoffmans, Viberg and White's, all the same calk.

its the philips 2 piece crappola's that er the real **** show.

I wish you could still get the good Omni-Lite golf spikes from back in the day. Those things were a little expensive but they lasted forever. I bought the manufacturer out of the last of their stock a few years ago so I don't imagine I'll ever see another set.

Easiest style I know of to replace and fastest.
0689ca1bda2fe58dde64544fbe0d6131.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Good old Woods logging we've spent plenty of our money there other the years, too bad their saw shop has gone kind of to hell.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back