Could this be ash?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was a gambling man I would put my money on catalpa it looks identical to many catalpas that I have slabed. Bark looks spot on all well. That smaller limb , not so much ! But they smell sweet while milling and is dark caramel colors when wet or finish is applied. What does it look like wet? Pour a little water over an area and I bet its all caramel with dark variations where the grain differs. Their grain pattern is very similar to ash but all of the ash that I have ever milled has a pronounced difference in color in the heart wood. Catalpa does not ..... your slab also does not appear to have a different coloured heart....

Sent from my N9516 using Tapatalk

Look at the outer edges of the grain patterns........
7c8c7f58aef024cdfc224a110bb23750.jpg
f4558f62029f315a69803c180d63957d.jpg

If I was a gambling man I would put my money on catalpa it looks identical to many catalpas that I have slabed. Bark looks spot on all well. That smaller limb , not so much ! But they smell sweet while milling and is dark caramel colors when wet or finish is applied. What does it look like wet? Pour a little water over an area and I bet its all caramel with dark variations where the grain differs. Their grain pattern is very similar to ash but all of the ash that I have ever milled has a pronounced difference in color in the heart wood. Catalpa does not ..... your slab also does not appear to have a different coloured heart....

Definitely wasn't catalpa, I'm convinced it's either walnut or ash. I live on 1.2 acres on the edge of a small town and have a dozen other walnut trees and no other ash (or catalpa), which is why I assumed it was walnut. We've lived here 5 years, and it was standing dead the second year so I really don't have any way of knowing if it ever had walnuts on it.

The only way to know for sure would be the magnification method of the pattern of tyloses on the end grain. Then you would know for sure.!

This is what it will look like if it is ash

7f395ec04d400e6eb0de77e0cf889b97.jpg

This is what the pattern in walnut looksj like..quite different.

8da6f0ef1e54ac26590853a303bdc7c5.jpg

After sawing over 2 million bf of lumber I'm still going with black ash, both the lumber and bark on the log. Black ash likes to grow on lower ground around the edges of swamps, rivers or pot holes Steve
Hey sounds like you know your ash types.... what is the best way to tell the ash species apart.... is there 2 or 3 species of ash???

After sawing over 2 million bf of lumber I'm still going with black ash, both the lumber and bark on the log. Black ash likes to grow on lower ground around the edges of swamps, rivers or pot holes Steve

It was in a very swampy area of the yard, so that could be.

Far as I know there is black ash and white ash( which is also called green ash). Steve
Hey does the black ash have steeper ridges in the bark.... me and a buddy got abunch if oak a while back, and I could tell it was different by the bark...maybe you can tell what this is in the pics???
IMG_1503.PNG IMG_1504.PNG

Back