Cover won't come off to install bar/chain....help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just got my 550XP today. I'm trying to remove the cover so I can install the bar/chain and it won't come off. I undid the two bolts but it looks like there's a clock-spring-like piece of metal wrapped around the big wheel that is attached to the cover. I don't want to force it but how do I get the cover off?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Again, it looks like the cover is snagged on the big wheel's rim if that makes sense. No clue how to get it free.

-Emt1581

Don't force it. Does the handle make a firm clunk when you operate it?

The kickback lever? It did the first time. Not anymore. I tried putting the nuts back on but after I did the lever won't re-engauge.

-Emt1581

Push it forward to engage the brake. Does it clunk?

No. It does move and has what I'd consider normal tension. But it doesn't set into forward and back positions.

Again, there is like a real shiny/polished strip going around the big dull colored wheel and a piece of the polished strip is caught in the gray cover.

-Emt1581

In this vid the shiny outer strip is part of the wheel. So what it looks like happened is somehow an edge of this wheel got snagged to the outer covering. Question is, how do I unsnag it without bending it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Problem solved....got the cover off. Watched this vid and it worked in a few seconds....

Not to say the troubles are over but at least the cover came right off.

-Emt1581

Oh my a big shiney strip going around a dull colored drum< sounds like the dreaded shiney dull drum syndrome!! anot sure it can be saved!!!!!!!

Oh my a big shiney strip going around a dull colored drum< sounds like the dreaded shiney dull drum syndrome!! anot sure it can be saved!!!!!!!

You miss the part where I said the issue was fixed? Another member was kind enough to walk me through it. Turned out to be an easy fix.

-Emt1581

Back